Chapter 6

How the mind works is something, that will never fully understand . ;)  Random thought.

The last person Dena expected to see step out of the SUV was Carlos, a look of shock then confusion crossed her face as she looked at him. 

"Is it Dena or Diana," Carlos asked.

"What you want," Dena replied instead.

Seeing as the girl preferred popping the gum she's chewing instead of giving him an answer, he took out his business card and handed it to her.

"Call me if you need a favour or help, it's sort of a thank you for helping my brother," he said, as Dena looked at the paper in his hand then at him.

"Are you going to die, it's just that people like you, only do good things when they know they might die soon, you're not a cancer patient right,?" Dena said.

If he wasn't standing close to Dena, and the SUV engine along with the wind blowing were, the only things making a noise in the neighbourhood at that moment, Carlos might ask Dena to repeat herself. Just as he was about to tell Dena that her assumption is very much wrong, she heard Dena let out a string of curses, before she quickly move closer to him, looking behind him he saw a red car, with an open back pull up behind the SUV, before the three men sitting in the back seat jumped out.

"Dena my lady, how you doing, you look fine tonight," one of the men wearing a light blue V neck t-shirt said as the men approach them.

"Who's this," the man said as he eyed Carlos up and down before he looked angrily at Dena.

"None of your business Dan," she said.

Seeing the man moving towards Dena on his right, Carlos stepped in front of her making him facing the man instead of Dena.

"As the lady said, it's none of your business," Carlos said.

Starring at the man, Carlos could see a dark look in the man's eyes as his jaw line tick with anger, after a little starring contest between the two, the other man leaned back and gave a low whistle, before he turned to the men that followed him. Feeling a soft hand in his, Carlos looked down at his hand than at Dena's face, by now Dena had moved so close to him, that he can clearly see the pair of clear green eyes looking at him, smell the Vanilla perfume Dena had on, and make out the lines of the bright red lipstick on her lips, a combination he now realized had his hormones acting all crazy, the slamming shut of the SUV door, took him out of the trance he didn't realized he was in.

"Is there a problem here," his driver asked as he swung his gun over his shoulder.

For a driver, he sure looked like someone from the heavy weight, boxing competition Tim usually watched on his laptop, she was lucky the guy didn't knock her out when she pop the gum earlier in his face, Dena thought.

"It's not a fair fight if someone is armed, by the way you're lucky I wasn't carrying mine, or rest assured tonight could've been a very different story," Dan said as he and his men went back to their car and drove off.

"Okay, thanks for the help, I'll be leaving now," Dena said after Dan and his boys had left.

The urge to call her back and make her tell him, what all the Dan business is about, was on the tip of his tongue but Carlos held it down, he knew he probably gave her a bad impression of him, on their first encounter already, so telling himself it was none of his business to interfere in her life, he had his driver take him straight home.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dena never believed in destiny, or the star aligning stuff Tim always goes on about, but her running into the Lexington brothers, had her thinking twice, especially now that she had a run in, or more a stalking type meeting with Carlos, after three weeks of their first encounter. I've being around Tim too much, she mumbled to herself as she shakes off her earlier thoughts.

Thinking of the idiot and he never fails to appear, Dena thought as she saw Tim walking towards Mary's front door, giving their signature whistle she had Tim looking round before his eyes landed on her.

"Mary called, said you would drop by after your shift, so I thought I'd also come by, and maybe will all sleepover here, since you know," Tim said.

"That's nice, how's she doing by the way," Dena asked.

"Oh hanging in there, though Mary's putting on a strong front but I know it's killing her, knowing there's nothing she can do to save her," Tim replied.

Leaning on the wall beside the door, Mary stared at the road as Tim lights the cigarette he was holding, any other day she would be telling him, she'll have her head if she caught him smoking but right now, she'll let it pass.

"So Mary told me this is your last, at the club," Tim said.

"Yeah, the money is enough to settle the unpaid house rentals, and the next two months rentals, we'll try to find other jobs, we'll worry about the other bills later," she said.

"I like that idea, who knows maybe you'll be able to practice, all that law nonsense you learned in college," Tim said to which he earned a smack on the head for.

Rolling her eyes at Tim's peace hand sign, Dena opened the door and walked into the house with a chuckling Tim behind her.

"She just woke up, it'll be a while before she'll fall asleep again, she was asking about you this evening," Mary said as she fills the heater.

"Tim and I will take over, you need to rest," Dena said as she gave Mary her no rooms for argument look.

Rubbing the back of her neck, Mary looked at the clock on the fridge to see its already five minutes pass one in the morning, "I'll just say goodnight to her," she said before she went to Clair's room.