Chapter 2

Lena's pov:

After the talk, if you could call it that, with my father I went back to bed feeling like shit. I am not really sure how else to describe how I am feeling. My father basically just told me that he thinks he is going to die today and then he goes on to tell me that I need to stay strong because he fears my step-mother might do horrible things to me in his and Lexs' absence. 

I honestly don't know how to feel right now. I guess I should probably get some sleep and prepare myself for what tomorrow might bring. 

I woke up the next morning with a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. I tried to push the feeling aside and decided to take a quick shower before heading down to eat breakfast. I got out of the shower and walked to my wardrobe, I didn't pay much regard to choosing an outfit, I just pulled on some jogging bottoms and a flannel. Lillian will complain but i really don't feel like dressing up formally today.

As I walked downstairs I could hear Lillian on the phone to somebody, it must be some kind of business because shes being formal and fairly polite. She notices my presence as I reach the bottom of the stairs and holds up her index finger, signaling for me to wait for her to finish. Lillian hangs up a minute later.

"Lena, we need to talk. Please come take a seat" Lillian says while gesturing to the sofa in the living room. I follow her and take a seat on the sofa opposite from hers, not wanting to be too close to her. 

"Lena, there is not really an easy way to say this so I am just going to be blunt. I am afraid that your father passed away earlier this morning. I understand that some people like to pointlessly say goodbye to their deceased loved-ones before their bodies are taken, so if you must, please do it quickly as the coroner will be her within the hour" Once she has finished she eagerly leaves the room.

I blocked out most of what that heartless bitch said because as soon as she said "there is no easy way to say this" I already knew what she was going to tell me. My dad is dead. Gone. 

For a moment I just sit there letting it fully register. I mean of course we were all expecting it and he even told me himself this morning it would be soon but nonetheless its still a shock. Once my mind returns to my body, I numbly walk to where my fathers body is laying. I wont stay long because as father said, any weaknesses I show, Lillian will use them against me. 

I stand by the door just looking at my fathers now lifeless body. Is it weird to say that I have never seen him look so peaceful? I slowly make my way to him so that I am standing beside him, I carefully lean down and quietly whisper in his ear, I know its pointless because he can't hear me but still.

"Goodbye father, I hope that you are in a better place and will find peace and happiness wherever you go. I love you." 

I rest my hand on his cheek and place a soft kiss on his forehead, I let a single tear escape my eye and then leave the room to head to my own bedroom, feeling the need to be alone.

I spent the next week mostly moping around in my bedroom. Tidying when it was already clean, unfolding and re-folding my clothes, drawing random things in my notebook, and then today I have been reading my favourite book series; Harry Potter.

I have only really seen Lillian when going down for dinner, unsurprisingly she looks absolutely fine. I think she was actually more distraught when Lex got sent to prison. Not that that surprises me either, Lex was always her golden boy. Mind you, that was mostly because he would do almost anything she told him to, she could easily manipulate him, I blame her for his insanity.

What does surprise me is that she has left me alone for a whole week, she has not called for me or asked anything of me. That for Lillian is strange. 

"LENA!" 

Guess I spoke to soon. I quickly walk downstairs to the kitchen. Lillian usually situates herself at the kitchen table to look over her paperwork, clearly she has never heard of a home office.

"What can I do for you mother?" I say as politely as I can. I absolutely hate calling her 'mother', I don't know why she even makes me call her by that title. Probably for business, god forbid her business partners find out that I am her dead husbands bastard. 

"Lena, it is nice to see you. Have a seat?" Lillian says with a bitter smile on her lips, somehow I don't think it is.

I take a seat due to the fact it was more of an order than a question.

"Now Lena, I have some good news-" Lillian's good news is never good news, I think to myself whilst mentally preparing myself for what she has to say next. "-You will be leaving the Luthor household-" YES!! I internally scream. "-You are probably wondering why you are leaving. Well, you are leaving because I have arranged for you to be wed. In two weeks time you will be married off to a delightful young woman named Kara Danvers..."

Again, I thought too soon. MARRIED!? Is she pulling my leg right now? She's joking, she has to be. I can't get married! Wait... Danvers, Kara... I know that name. Kara Danvers I say in my head again, Kara... Danvers. 

"...The Danvers family have happily accepted the marriage proposal. There is a slight issue that I don't think you will like. They are not as wealthy as us, they live in quite a rough area, not rough as in thugs and drug addicts but rough as in poor. However, you are a good girl, you will adjust quickly and fit right in, i'm sure. What do you think Lena?" Lillian says with an evil smirk on her face.

I take a moment to think out an appropriate response. If the name Kara Danvers belongs to who I think it does then this could actually be a good idea. I am not bothered about the 'poor' part, I can live without the Luthor's billions.

I used to have a best friend called Kara Danvers back in middle school, when I moved up to High school we lost contact due to me being sent to a prestigious posh high school that is more like a college, thankfully I recently graduated. Anyway, If this Kara is who I think she is then I could finally be happy outside of this hellhole. On the downside, I am going to have to act like I hate this Idea. If Lillian finds out before the marriage that she is actually doing me a favour she would immediately call things off.

There is also the fact that it could be a different Kara Danvers. I school my facial features into a scowl and glare at Lillian.

"What do I think!? Not that you will care but I hate this idea! You cannot just marry me off to some stranger, and to a WOMAN!? You want me to marry a woman. Why are you even doing this mother?" I spit out with as much hatred as I can muster.

"Now Lena, there is no need to be over dramatic. It is not that bad and why am I doing this you ask? I am doing this because you are bad for business. Now that Lionel is dead, there is no need for me to keep around his bastard daughter. If you actually had a clever brain inside that skull of yours maybe I would have kept you around and we could have been partners. I think you should be great-full for this marriage, at least you will have a roof over your head, think about it, I could have just thrown you out onto the street" Lillian says. She sounds almost angry. 

"Whatever Lillian. It's not like I actually had a choice here is it? As usual, you will just do whatever you want. For the record, I hate you for this" I say and storm out of the room. However as I get to the stairs Lillian calls my name again.

"Lena."

I don't answer I just turn to face her with a glare.

"Make sure you are downstairs and presentable by 10am tomorrow. Your future wife will be coming to introduce herself to you. You will be friendly."

"Whatever." I say and carry on walking back to my room.