Chapter I

{play song}

May 2016

"Stop doing the Running Man Challenge dance in school! For god's sake, you're sixteen, not six-year-olds!"

"Oh, come on, Madam Mallory!" said Connor as the song My Boo played in the background. "Can't you keep up with the latest trends for once?"

"Connor, you're just living off an internet sensation that was recycled from my university days," retorted Madam Mallory as she took Connor's phone and paused the song. "It's 2016, not 1996!"

I was not far off from the both of them and laughed upon hearing her remark. Madam Eve Mallory was well-known in my school for two reasons- being an incredible English teacher, and also for her witty sense of humour. Her hair was a blended mix of white and black, and the marvel of the other teachers. She was just hitting 50, yet she was certainly far better than the other teachers, who were old, dowdy and terribly unkempt. Madam Eve Mallory on the other hand, wore make-up to complement her slightly-tanned skin and brown eyes which were laced with thick eyelashes.

"She kind of has a point there Connor," I said as I approached him with a jovial expression, "You're a terrible dancer."

"Please." Connor shrugged. "I'm definitely a better dancer than you. And I'm better than you in everything else too."

"Connor's right you know," interrupted Madam Mallory, with a twinkle in her eye.

"Except in academics," I replied, "I'm an academic amazement."

"Bla blah blah blah, academic genius," said a malicious voice from behind me, which I turned to and immediately recognized as my blue-eyed, fair-skinned and petite Spanish friend, Juliana Alejandra. "You couldn't even clean the class when Connor spilt your drink in the second form."

My face immediately turned pale upon hearing Juliana's remark.

"That's not true at all."

"Ha ha," laughed Juliana sarcastically, "You don't remember what happened when Connor sat on your pretty little red bag?"

Connor was in stitches as he recounted the incident.

"No, I don't remember."

"Tell me what happened, Juliana," said Madam Mallory with a smile, "I'm curious to know."

"Well, Mark always brought packets of soy milk to school to drink during recess. One day, Connor sat on the bag and the packet broke!" she laughed.

Madam Mallory cocked an eyebrow.

"His whole bag was filled with soy milk until everyone in the class thought it was leaking with his man fluid," added Juliana.

"That's it?" asked Madam Mallory. Juliana shook her head.

"He couldn't even clean the mess because he didn't know how to use a mop!"

Those words were the breaking point for everyone as they burst into laughter. Madam Mallory laughed too because it was the first time she had heard about how incompetent I was.

"Then again Mark," said Connor as he recovered from his hysterical laugh, "there is one thing you're annoyingly good at."

"Controlling the morning assemblies," I said with a smile.

"Which is something you're supposed to be doing now considering it's already past 7 am," said Madam Mallory with a little sternness in her voice.

"Damn!" I cursed as Madam Mallory gave me a look of displeasure.