Chapter V

"Mark! Mark! Mark!"

I kept on dreaming about the roaring applause, long after the teachers and other students had congratulated me and taken pictures with my crew. It was a truly divine feeling.

"Mark!"

I snapped back to reality.

"Come on," said Connor as he extended his hand, "It's time for us to head home."

"But it's only 8 pm," I protested, "We deserve a celebration for all our efforts."

Connor refused.

"I can't bro," admitted Connor, "I've got to get up at the crack of dawn."

"Crack of dawn?" I queried, "What are you going to do, cook eggs?"

"Worse," Connor replied, in a tired tone.

I looked at Connor with a concerned look. Why was he suddenly so worked up about getting up early?

"I'm going away for a month," he continued almost immediately, as if he was reading my mind, "My dad signed me up for the National Day Marching Parade."

I was left speechless as my mouth hung open like a snapped wire. Was Connor going to do marching?

"I'm going to be at the National Sports Complex for like a month," he replied excitedly, "Our school's gonna have remedial classes every weekend so that I can catch up with what all you guys learnt that week."

My mind was filled with uncertainty. Fuck, I'm not going to be seeing Connor for a month! How am I going to cope?

"Are you excited to go for it?" I mustered the courage to ask that million-dollar question.

"Of course bro," he admitted, nodding his head in approval, "Who wouldn't be? I can make so many other new friends there."

"Wow bro," I said meekly, "You're really lucky."

Connor realized my genuine insecurity towards him and moved closer to me.

"Bro." Connor said softly, as his breath entered my nostrils, "You got to chill the fuck out."

"What are you talking about?" I quizzed suspiciously.

"I know you're scared I'm gonna abandon you if I find new friends there," admitted Connor honestly.

Damn. This guy really knows how to read my mind.

I was about to reply when Connor added, in annoyance, "Dude, why would you think I would ever abandon you?"

"I don't know," I admitted, "I'm just scared that maybe I'm not your best friend just like how you are to me."

Connor's eyes grew wide.

"You seriously got to stop with the mushiness bro," countered Connor as he moved slightly from me, "We're just best friends you know, not gay lovers."

I chuckled sarcastically upon hearing Connor's remark.

"If I ever find a hot girl there, you'll be the first one to know," said Connor as I pursed my lips. For some reason, my insides were filled with disappointment upon hearing that remark.

"Haha," was the only word I could muster as I put on a smile that Connor knew was fake.

"Bruh," said Connor as he attempted to comfort me, "You have all the girls to have reckless fun with. Why worry about me not being here for like a month?"

"I'm not worried bruh," I replied, as I moved slightly towards Connor, causing our legs to touch slightly, "It's just that I'm not going to have my wingman by my side."