Chapter IV

"Wow dude," I told Rhett as he arrived outside the hall the following Monday with something I found truly fascinating- a pink shirt.

"What for?" he grinned as his dimples became prominent.

"You're really getting in the role," I told him as we walked into the school hall together.

"Wearing a pink shirt isn't going to turn me into Mrs Doubtfire that easily," countered Rhett, "All I need is some good luck and I'll be as good as Robin Williams."

Rhett and I smiled at each other.

"Rhett! My man! I had no idea you were into plays and stuff!" said an excited voice all of a sudden.

"Connor!" exclaimed Rhett, "Wow! Didn't expect to see you here!"

I was baffled as my mouth opened. How the hell did the two of them know each other?

"You two know each other?" I queried.

Connor patted Rhett's back and looked at me.

"We're LOL buddies," he said as the two of them grinned.

"LOL?" I asked, confused.

"League of Legends," Rhett replied, "You seriously got to keep up dude."

Connor laughed at Rhett's remark.

"Can we move on to the play please?" I said, pretending to be worried about the status of the play as to save the embarrassment of not keeping up with the latest gaming trends. 

Connor and Rhett grinned at each other again as I moved feverishly around the hall, gathering everything ready for the next rehearsal.

*********************

"Dónde demonios está mi taxi? " said Rhett in a comical tone and authentic Spanish accent as he recited his line entirely from memory during our full rehearsal in front of Madam Mallory and me.  

I was left in splits upon observing Rhett's performance.

"What a casting coup you've pulled off Mark," I heard Madam Mallory saying as Rhett's comical voice interlaced her words, "Your friend really has a lot of talent."

I blushed a little upon hearing Madam Mallory's remark.

"Thanks, Madam Mallory," I said happily, "I guess talent spotting's my middle name, huh?"

"Don't be full of yourself," said Madam Mallory as she got up and clapped upon hearing Rhett's final line.

Rhett came down from the stage and Madam Mallory beamed while saying to him, "You truly have the flair for acting, Mr Evans."

Rhett beamed sheepishly, "There's no need to be so formal, Madam Mallory. I'm not a Hollywood star yet."

"But you soon will be dude," interrupted an excited Connor, "You were awesome!"

Rhett beamed again, with his dimples shining an air of shyness.

*********************

"Audrey, you've got to sing your part properly," advised Madam Mallory two hours later towards the end of our rehearsal as the entire drama crew sat in a circle on the stage, "You still sound like La Carlotta and I don't want you to make the school chandelier fall that night."

"Dude," whispered Rhett to me as Madam Mallory continued talking and Connor listened intently, "I need to go now."

"What for?"

"It's urgent," he replied, "I've got things to do."

I turned to him with a kind look.

"Look, just hold on for another 15 minutes," I assured him, "She'll be done by then."