Chapter VI

"Why won't you people keep quiet!!" I scowled angrily during the assembly two days later, obviously irritated at the fact that a number of students were not listening to my instructions.

"Shut up you dumb dog!" they yelled back at me.

"You're the one that should shut up, you fag," said Rhett's voice all of a sudden, as I grinned, "If you mess with our Lord and saviour here, you're gonna regret it."

Rhett's voice was the ultimate panacea to the group of overzealous and uncultured students, for they backed down almost immediately after hearing it.

"Wow, that was pretty sweet dude," I flashed my eyes in approval, "Thanks so much."

"It's nothing," he assured me, with a grin that prominently displayed his dimples, "The most important thing is for you to do your job without those idiots getting in the way."

As the days progressed, I realized that his generosity wasn't just a one-time offer, for the same thing happened every other morning I was in charge of the assembly. Rhett would step in the moment he saw me struggle with a group of rebellious students. And I would thank him for his help, only to see him grin in the cutest way possible.

Our interactions weren't just limited to the school too. 

Mark: Hey dude, how it's going? 😆 

Rhett: Everything's fine lol. I'm just playing Graal now.

I would go on to let him play, only to disturb him a few hours later.

Mark: Hey dude, how was your game?

Rhett: It was great. I managed to defeat this really good player from Japan.

And the succeeding messages would just be him explaining about the boring specifics of Graal, a game that I never got to understand.

Rhett: Dude, am I boring you with this stuff?

Mark: Of course not. Go on.

Taking care of his passion towards Graal is much better than being a selfish bitch, I thought.

However, it was not just a one-way road when it came to checking up on one another. He did message me too- in a humorous way.

Rhett: Dude, what's up? You busy masturbating or something?

I would laugh every time I saw his message.

Mark: If I was masturbating, I would only be thinking of you.

Rhett: If I was gay, which I'm not, cause I'm straight as fuck.

The way we checked up on each other was like we were passionate lovers in a relationship- a non-existent one, at least, thanks to Rhett's homophobia.

My thoughts were always directed towards how I would cope towards Connor's temporary departure. Turns out it was a bigger blessing than I ever expected.

****************

"Oh my gosh! Mark!"

A nudge to my ribs made me jerk wide awake to see a smiling face that I had not seen for ages- that of my sister, Tara Mangal. The same sister who made my life a living hell with her stupid marriage.

"Hi Tara," I said, in a suffocated and slightly insincere voice, "I've missed you a lot."

My sister's lips slightly curved as my mother's eyes signalled me to embrace my sister. Groaning in displeasure, my body slightly shuffled a few steps forward to embrace my obese, fair-skinned and pimple-filled sister. None of us spoke a word as we swiftly broke away from the embrace almost three seconds after hugging each other.