The past

~II~

A sweet and fragrant aroma of freshly brewed coffee, cakes and confectionery pervades the air completely. The complex smell fills his nostrils and sounds of muffled conversations fills his ears. The cosy ambience of the small coffee shop is certainly a popular place to relax and indulge yourself into a nice warm cup of tea or coffee.

He stares out the window pane and watches as each minuscule snowflake cascades gracefully to the ground, like a parachute, clinging to whatever it lands on. The streets, hidden under an immeasurable blanket of white, resembles a blank canvas, as if waiting for the hand of an artist to take action.

He loves the snow, more so when it is falling. Every time it reminds Baekhyun of her, especially when it rains.

Deep in thought, he delicately traces the rim of the porcelain cup with his forefinger, the piping hot beverage still left untouched. He looks at his own reflection that casts on the surface of the dark liquid, steam gently caressing his skin. He forgets completely as to why he came here in the first place.

"Hello?" No response. "Earth to Baekhyun?"
He snaps his head up to the sound of Chanyeol's deep voice. He brings himself back to reality to find Chanyeol sipping on his tea as he arches his brow.

"You've been zoning out on me. You okay?" Baekhyun adverts his gaze back to his mug filled with coffee and briefly sighs. "I just have a lot in mind at the moment, but it's nothing to be concerned about." Baekhyun flashes him a reassuring smile.

"Well, care to share?" Chanyeol props his chin on his left hand, leaning slightly on the window, anticipating his next words. He hears Baekhyun clearing his throat as he begins to stir his beverage. It was clear to him that he was trying to avoid the question.

"I guess.....work has been stressing me out lately," he says and shakes his head dejectedly. "But as I said it's nothing to worry about." He finally looks up at Chanyeol who gave him his fullest attention. Baekhyun lets out a small nervous laugh and his face lights up almost immediately again.

"You positive?"

"Yes, I'm certain."

Chanyeol knows him too well to be fooled by him. He can read him like an open book. After all those years whenever Baekhyun occasionally is in a glum mood Chanyeol knows what he is thinking about. He didn't even need to question him. That's how well he knows Baekhyun.

It has been over three years since that distressing incident that had occurred in the past, which undoubtedly left Baekhyun heartbroken, had happened. It was evident. Although he won't present it frequently you can still tell that it left a huge impact on him and Chanyeol remembers that day as if it was yesterday.

______

"Hey Baekhyun, get your ass downstairs we brought food!," Chanyeol hollered from the bottom of the staircase. "What's taking him so long?," Kyungsoo asked as he munched on a slice of pepperoni pizza. He slid into the couch and switched on the television. "I don't know, but I'm gonna check." He said skeptically. Kyungsoo nodded and Chanyeol started to dart up the stairs.

He carelessly swung the door open to Baekhyun's room and was greeted with nothing but darkness. Not a single light was on and the curtains were left closed which shut out any possible chance of sunshine to creep into the room. "Geez, why is it so dark in here?," he whispered to himself.  He searched for the light switch near the door, struggling slightly, but once he felt it under his fingertips he flicked them on.