Surprise

~VII~

As he gets into the drivers seat, turns on the engine and finally heads to work, he remembers something important.

His wallet. 

Oh well, at least he has another excuse to visit again, so he really doesn't mind.

•••

"You're in an awfully good mood today," Chanyeol jokes, taking a quick sip of his chilled beer. He observes Baekhyun bustling about his home with a bounce in his step.

"It's Christmas, Chanyeol. Why wouldn't I be happy?" Baekhyun remarks half distractedly as he tidies up his living room for the long awaited Christmas party. "And isn't it too early to be consuming alcohol?" Baekhyun continues, shooting him an odd look which Chanyeol doesn't seem to notice.

"Look, you said it yourself, it's Christmas!" He swirls his drink absentmindedly. "I can make an exception," he says while he takes another swig of his beverage. "No, but really though you seem much more," he pauses, squinting his eyes as if he's searching for something. "I don't know." Chanyeol scratches his head contemplatively. "You seem much more full of life these past few days," he explains the best way that he can.

"Thank you? I don't exactly know what to say to that because I haven't really noticed anything," Baekhyun says unsurely as he wipes down his slightly dusty coffee table.

"I mean, you don't really need to say anything. I'm just happy for you, man," Chanyeol says wholeheartedly and he means every single word. To see his friends behaviour change for the better is truly satisfying to see. He pats Baekhyun on the shoulder as if he's done something monumental.

"Why are you getting sentimental all of the sudden? Don't tell me that you're drunk already?" He swats Chanyeol's hand off of his shoulder and gives a quiet chuckle. "Should I call Seohyun to bring your drunk ass back home?" Baekhyun smirks slyly as Chanyeol lets out a defeated sigh, plopping onto the nearest armchair. The amount of times Seohyun had to drag a drunk Chanyeol back home was kind of embarrassing, and dealing with a drunk Chanyeol is, well, challenging.

"You're no fun," Chanyeol mumbles with a frown.

"And you're drunk," Baekhyun retorts back.

As he gets up to go to the kitchen Chanyeol sticks out his foot, tripping him up deliberately. "Hey, what the fuck?" Baekhyun seethes, glaring daggers at his direction while trying to hold in his laughter, too.

Just then, the door swings open. Kyungsoo, Seohyun, Junmyeon and Joohyun amble in, oblivious to the commotion happening inside. They see Junmyeon towing their two year old daughter along by the hand who was distracted by the colourful fairy lights.

"You guys are early," Baekhyun says as he approaches them and Chanyeol quickly discards his beer can. Kyungsoo brushes past them, placing his bag full of ingredients on the newly cleaned coffee table.

"You clearly stated that we should come at 12 o'clock and guess what time is it? It's 1 o'clock," Kyungsoo deadpanned and in return earned a quiet "Oh" from Baekhyun. "Also, I might as well start cooking the food at your house," he adds.

Seohyun walks to Chanyeol's side and he instinctively puts an arm around her waist. "Honestly, I just came to check up on this guy," Seohyun remarks, looking up at him with a small smile. "Hey, I can take care of myself," Chanyeol defends with a pout and they all chuckle.