nine*

// life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend //

As I stand facing my locker and pretend not to notice that practically everyone was staring, I half expect for Georgia to pop up any moment now.

Maybe I'm still hoping that this is a nightmare, that Georgia did not leave, and I didn't lose my only friend.

You're delusional, I scold myself. Taking a deep breath, I make my way to class alone. Maybe it is just me being insecure, but I am pretty sure everyone is gossiping about me. I take a big gulp when one of the girls gives me a smirk. I decide to just ignore it and sit down.

It isn't until break that I realize how much I depend and rely on Georgia. Before all the chaos happened, I could say that I was acquaintances with everyone. After all, everyone was that friendly. But my only close friend was Georgia. She was the person I would go to when I needed to say something, share something or just hang out.

Now I'm alone.

A bitter laugh escapes as I take in the view of the cafeteria, where groups of people are laughing and goofing around. I eat quickly and go to the library. Walking in for the first time during break feels awkward, but no one looks up as the automatic doors open because everyone is buried in their books. I feel a smile appear as I walk towards one of the aisles.

I hum softly as I try to find a book and I already know I would be in the library more often from now.

//

I'm hungry. That's my first thought when I step inside the house, quickly leaving my bag somewhere before heading to the kitchen. And what better way to feed my hungry stomach than make a simple grilled cheese sandwich?

It is pure delight, taking a bite of my delicious sandwich. "Cass, I'm home!" I hear Kris say, just as I hear the main door closing. It doesn't take long for her to find me in the kitchen scarfing down a sandwich like I haven't eaten in days. That's when I see Tom.

I fight down the urge to raise an eyebrow at him, surprising myself even. Why do I feel so weary about him? "Tom and I are just going to be in my room, discussing school work." Kris smiles and says in a rush, before grabbing Tom's arm and leaving the kitchen.

Bullshit.

Does Kris think I am dumb or something? That lie is complete and utter bull, even for her. So why are they together? Are they romantically together?

My forehead creases, thinking about how odd it seems. Tom was Nate's friend, could he really betray Nate like that? Besides... Kris wouldn't move on so fast. Would she?

I sip my cup of iced chocolate, thinking about all the odd things happening around. I can't help but feel tired of it all.

First Nate, then the school starts acting up, then Georgia, and now Kris and Tom.

What more is there?

I quickly clean up everything and do my homework. It's still early, and I don't feel like reading anything today. So I resort to one of my very guilty pleasures, YouTube. It goes well for the first hour, then my eyelids start to drop terribly, as the girl drones on and on about her cats or something. My head starts falling and the noise becomes more and more distant until I hit the lamp.

"Ow!" I swear under my breath, wincing as I feel a throbbing pain on the side of my head. Thank goodness the lamp didn't fall or something. I rub my eyes, trying to wave off the sleepiness that is luring me in. My phone flickers the time silently, 6:49 pm. It's been two hours since I got back from school, and I am pretty sure Tom hadn't left.

I am pretty sensitive to noise, so if Tom had come down and let himself out, I would've known. Does discussing school work really take that long? I struggle to lift myself up from the comfy couch to go to Kris' room. I raise my hand to knock on the door, but I hear Kris talking. Her voice suddenly raises a few notches that the once silent space outside her door, becomes not so silent anymore.

"She doesn't know, Tom! She doesn't know!" Kris wails, her tone obviously very distressed. With no hesitation, I speed walk to my room quietly, not wanting to hear any more. I do not want to feel guilty for eavesdropping later. I force myself to occupy my mind, but it won't stop echoing what Kris said.

She doesn't know.

Who was she? She doesn't know what?

No, Cass! Don't assume. Kris was probably talking about something else. Someone else. I bury my face in my small palms, willing myself to stop thinking about it. Since when does life revolve around worrying about something that probably has nothing to do with me?

I need to focus on the more important things, like studying or something. I should also try to make new friends. I can't stay alone in school forever. Surely making friends won't be that hard, right?

All the tiredness I have drains away, my mind spinning in wheels.

Maybe I should create daily goals, to keep myself occupied. It sounds like a good idea to me. First goal tomorrow: Make a friend.

The next morning, I pick out the most decent clothes I could find in my wardrobe. Today, I need to make a friend, might as well have a good first impression right? A floral skirt fits against my waist comfortably, along with a lace blouse. These were presents I had received from Kris for my birthday last year. I remember when I first saw them and how I had thought I'd never wear them. They were way too girlish and not comfy enough for my taste.

For my shoes, I go with my usual white converse. I get to the kitchen and for the first time, Kris is awake earlier than me.

I can hear the sound of the sizzling pan in the kitchen, and I smile to myself. It seems like I will have a good start to a day. Hopefully, the rest of the day will go by smoothly. Kris heard my footsteps and greets in a cheery voice, "Good morning!"

I am surprised to hear her so upbeat, considering how stressed out she had been last night but I don't say my thoughts out loud. I am tired of playing the big sister role for now. "Good morning! You're making breakfast?"

"You look nice today," she remarks as she places the plate of scrambled eggs and sausages on the table. "Thanks," I reply, amusement can be heard in my tone. Kris has always been the prettier sister. No one said it out loud of course, but it is very obvious. I hadn't mind for the most part because I completely agree.

Looks wise, Kris and I look about the same. But figure wise, I have a pretty average body type, nothing special. However, Kris has the whole curves thing going on. Besides that, she looks good in anything she decides to try on. She could probably throw on a trash bag and still look better than me.

I yawn softly, after finishing my delicious breakfast. I wash up and leave after that, not bothering to wait for Kris. She could come late anyways, since she isn't a student.

I feel nervous, walking into the school as though it's my first day. It feels like I'm a new student again. I know nobody, only names and faces.

I walk to my locker and almost trip when a leg reaches out. I can hear snickering as I catch my breath and sigh.

Today is going to be a long day.

Yes, we went on a hiatus. Yes, we're alive. Yes, we're back for good.

It actually feels really good to be writing this book again. I hope you guys like it and enjoy. Comment because that makes us happy.

Love lots,

Lacy :)

PS. We reached 100 reads! That's amazing and although it's probably pretty little I like to think we're taking small steps to big steps. Thank you for reading <3