eighteen*

// every new friend is a new adventure, the start of more memories //

"I cannot believe you right now," I say as I take a sip from my tea which has cooled down enough to not burn my tongue.

"What?" He looks at me with a smile and I can't help but smile back. "Your smile looks crooked when you smile like that." I give him a look and he just shrugs while drinking his coffee.

"Why do you even like coffee? I mean from what I can tell, you don't even put sugar in it. Is it not bitter at all?" I ask, genuinely curious how he can swallow such bitterness. He shrugs his shoulders and gives no answer.

"I don't know, honestly. From what I can tell though, you're really trying to steer clear from the topic of you falling flat on your face on the first day of high school. Like seriously, Cassidy?" I can feel my cheeks heating up even though it's not as embarrassing as some other things I've done in my life. "Is little Cassidy blushing? Damn." I can hear his booming laughter and I silently thank the heavens that no one from school is in the cafe.

"People are starting to stare, Brian! Stop laughing, you sound like a hyena." I say truthfully but he just laughs louder as I slowly sink into my seat. "Why do I still hang out with you?" I mumble under my breath. Surprisingly, he hears and Brian finally sobers up.

"I guess you find some redeeming qualities in me." He says and finishes his coffee while I push my cup away. "Let's go somewhere. My legs are getting cramped." He suggests and I nod, wanting to stretch my legs as well. We walk out of the cafe with a ding from the bell above the door. The cool air hits my skin so I quickly put on my thick cardigan.

The streets are not crowded, which is a good thing. I hate the feeling of everyone surrounding you, it feels suffocating.

"You should really appreciate me more, Brian. I mean I lied to my sister for you. She thinks I'm out trying to buy something for school now." I say with a soft sigh, not really expecting much of a reply from him. However, Brian turns around and bows while tipping his imaginary top hat.

"Why, thank you so much for being my friend, young lady. Oh, how will I ever repay you?" He says in a dramatic tone and it makes me wonder why he's not an actor. I push at his shoulder lightly, rolling my eyes but unable to keep the smile off my face. His smile makes a stunning return.

"Oh, come on Romeo, let's go." I walk ahead of him but he is soon walking next to me in a matter of seconds with a grin. "Why are you smiling like a weirdo?" I ask him without a glance and he just chuckles.

"I'm just thinking. If I'm Romeo then are you Juliet?" He says and I can feel my cheeks heating up once again because of Brian. Just as I'm about to tell him to shut up, I see him bending over while laughing, his hands on his knees.

"You should have seen your face, Cass!" He says in between fits of laughter and I let out a groan before walking away from him. He's laughing so hard but he doesn't even sound like a dying whale like I would, not that I would tell him what I think. It'll probably just boost his ego and he'll tease me for sure.

I ignore the calls of him asking me to slow down. I take a sly glance over my shoulders to see him choking a little from laughter, struggling to take proper strides.

Soon enough, he catches up to me and puts an arm around my shoulders. A scowl automatically fits onto my face, even though all I really want to do is smile.

"You're cute, Cassy."

//

After hanging out with Brian multiple times, I think less about the possibility that he is a bad person. I find myself thinking more about what kind of activities we will do next, rather than being paranoid about his intentions. The thought of his true motives still linger deep in my mind, but I choose to overlook it more times than not.

A low chatter snaps me out of my daydream and I quickly get my books before closing my locker. Although the gossip about me has gone down substantially, I still quicken my steps to reach my next class as I feel their gazes on me.

I sit at my place and soon enough the teacher comes in, starting the class before I can process another thought. For once, I have no problem concentrating in class so time passes by in a flash and I find myself walking home in what seems like a blink of the eye. Kris is staying back at the school for a while today since Tom has practice or something like that, I hadn't bothered asking her to elaborate more.

All of a sudden, soft beeping noises make me jump but I soon realize that it's my phone so I immediately take it out of my pocket. I see that it's Brian calling me so I answer it with a slight smile.

"Are you missing me already?" I ask with a teasing tone.

"You wish but I do want to see you tomorrow. Can you clear your oh so busy schedule?" I let out a low whistle and I shake my head even though he can't see me.

"I need to check with my assistant later but I'm sure I can squeeze you in somewhere." I can hear him laugh on the other end and it tugs another smile on my face.

"Thanks, Cassy. I'll call you tomorrow at about five in the evening so you have time to finish your school work. I have to go now but have a nice day!" I didn't even get to say goodbye before he ends the call. A frown etches itself onto my face but I try to shake it off. He's must be really busy, I mean who isn't these days.

I decide to just let it go for now as my mind start to wonder what we'll be doing tomorrow. Brian usually just calls and we go out a few hours later, so why the early notice? I'm not saying it's not nice but I'm just curious why.

//

"Where are mom and dad?" I ask Kris after she gets back since I don't see a note from either of them anywhere. "Some of their bags are gone." Kris falls into my line of vision and I see Tom behind her so I give him a small wave which he returns with a smile.

"Did I forget to tell you? I knew I forgot something this morning. They went to Aunt Stacy's since our cousin Karen is getting married. They asked me if we wanted to come but I know how much you hate family gatherings so I said I'll stay here with you." I let out a sigh of relief. I have always hated family gatherings unless our Uncle Ben is there. Sadly, he moved to Australia a couple years ago and he has not come back since.

"Tom and I will be upstairs. I'm helping him with his Spanish homework." Kris says and I give her a look that says it all. She lets out a laugh and shakes her head. "We'll be appropriate." Tom's face when he hears what she says is funny but I just smile and nod. Kris goes up to her room with Tom following close behind and I can't help but be happy for my sister because Tom is absolutely smitten with her.

I quickly finish the simple dinner I made for myself and wash the dishes. I go up to my room and since I don't have any homework today, I lay on my bed with my blanket and laptop on my lap. I play some random playlist from Spotify as I scroll through my emails. I have no idea what song is playing since I have the volume low.

After deleting a few unimportant emails from Facebook, I close the tab but leave the music playing. I walk to my bookshelf and it takes quite the effort since I'm way too comfortable on the bed. I pick out another one of my all time favorite reads, 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. I have the whole series but this one has a special spot in my heart.

A few hours later, I'm still snuggling in my blankets with the book without realizing the late hour. I swiftly put the book back in its usual spot before getting ready for bed. I still have school tomorrow so I'll need all the energy I can muster to get through the day of judgmental looks and the teachers' continuous babbling.

For some reason, it takes me longer than usual to fall asleep. Although I read the wonderful tale of Narnia, I dream of daunting shadows that follow me and a mysterious silhouette that seems to always be spying on me.

Hey guys :) Sorry this chapter is short but I promise my next chapter will be longer than this one! Hopefully this chapter may have tingled a bit of your Brissidy feels if you ship them. Also, I'll give you all a little information about what is to come.

Let's just say, Lacy and I have been planning some things that are going to happen for a while now and we can't wait for you all to read it :D

So as always if you enjoyed this please give us a vote and let us know what you think about the story. It really does motivate us to write!

Have a nice day,
Leah xx