Chapter 3: Pushed in the Right Direction

Cassandra's father searched for his younger daughter in the stadium

Cassandra's father searched for his younger daughter in the stadium. He thought maybe she would be gathering all her stuff down in the locker room area where the Decca fighters get ready for each match. However, he stopped and thought about it. He quickly turned around and instead headed to the stadium's concession stand where they sell the food and drinks.

Cassandra was staring at the popcorn machine watching the kernels pop in a brightly lit glass box. Cassandra's father walked up and appeared right next to her. The moment he got there she didn't need to even change her gaze, she just knew he was there.

"Dad, why is life like popcorn?" He began to stare at the popcorn at the stand as well, happy now that he was able to find her. He wondered what she was thinking about after that question. He noticed now that she had a melancholy expression on her face. "It looks so good yet you know that the stadium staff just lets it sit there probably for two or even three days. You know it tastes super good once they put all that butter on it but you know deep down it isn't fresh, it's old. It's all a beautiful lie."

"You're thinking about her aren't you? I can tell you know. Cassidy's disappearance, you can't let it go. I can't let it go either." Mr. Zyta knew that Cassandra entering into the tournament alone for the first time this year was going to affect her. He carefully listens to her.

"Yeah I am. I thought I could trick myself into thinking that I could do it this year. That I could win the tournament without Cassidy being here to support me, but I was wrong. I was just lying to myself really. I can't do this without her being here cheering me on, pushing me, and guiding me through all the hard fights. No offense dad I know I have you and my friends but..."

"I know. No need to explain cupcake. When it comes to these Decca fights half the time I don't even know what's happening, so I understand what you mean and I don't blame you." He chuckled a bit as Cassandra cracked a bit of a half-smile.

"Here take these." Cassandra's father noticed people now walking around in the lobby so he grabbed from a gym bag a pair of dark sun glasses and a cap so that Cassandra could put it on. He didn't want Decca fans to see her then crowd around her while she was feeling down. She quickly realized why he was handing it to her and began to put it on.

"Look Cassandra, it's alright to miss her, to miss Cassidy. You're not alone. I miss her too so so much. At the back of my mind I never lost hope, especially when it comes to that. As the police gave up the search, I'm still hopeful that one day we'll find her and she'll be alright. You were brave Cassandra to at least try out there. It took everything you had but the most important part is you didn't stay home. You came out onto the field with determination to win. That for me is a sure sign of a winner."

"Thanks dad. For telling me all this."

The stadium employee behind the counter interrupted them. "Uh excuse me sir. Will you be buying any popcorn or will you just be staring at it all day?"