Chapter One - A Stranger in the Night

When Ailith Natia heard the heavy, wooden door open downstairs, she sprang to her feet and sprinted out of her room. The rapid drumming of her footsteps echoed throughout the upper-floor. Before she reached the staircase, she gripped the shaky bannister and flipped over it.

The occupants on the ground floor jumped with fright at the sight of a blonde blur landing and dashing towards the entrance.

''H-hello, and welcome to our inn...'' Ailith said, bracing her knees, panting. ''Would you like me to help you with your bag, sir?''

The guest halted, bewildered by the sudden appearance of the small girl, standing no higher than his thigh. It was only when a strong gust of wind whipped against his back that he remembered to close the door behind him.

Ailith's body swayed back and forth, waiting for a response from the visitor. A black hood and scarf wrapped carefully around his face prevented her from recognising his features, other than a pair of onyx eyes. Water beads from the rain outside ran off his damp jacket. Ailith only just took in the enormity of the man.

Finally, he stared down to address Ailith, tightening the strap of his drenched backpack. ''No need to trouble yourself.'' Although his voice was muffled through his makeshift scarf, his tone was soft and honeyed. He bowed his head before walking around her and towards the counter in the centre of the Inn.

Curious about the respectful stranger, Ailith followed, occasionally distracted by the muddy tracks left behind and trying to compare her foot size with his.

She hopped along, one foot after the other. At one point, she needed to use the wooden support beam for balance. The warmth of the touch attached to it was a welcome feeling after the brief brisk with the storm going on outside. It was only when she saw that the stranger had reached the counter she finally sprinted and slid next to him, keeping enough distance so not to be an annoyance.

Nearby, a woman in a modest dress was wiping the counter surface with a ragged cloth, oblivious to the hooded figure.

Ailith stood on the very tips of her toes to peer over the counter. ''Mama!''

The woman glanced over, her eyes drawn to her daughter and then the newcomer. An alarmed expression flashed across her face. Frantically rubbing her stained hands against her dress and brushing a strand of loose hair from her sweaty brow, she hurried over.

Once again, the stranger bowed his head. ''Good evening, I know that this is short notice, especially on a dreadful night like this, but would you have any accommodation available?''

''We do!'' She reached underneath the counter and with both hands placed a large, leather book on the counter. After a quick huff, she began to flip through the endless pages filled with many names from different lands. ''In fact, you have the choice of any room on the upper floor.''

The stranger hummed. ''I would have thought that many would gladly take shelter for the night.''

''Well, either they're in the comforts of their own home or taking refuge in one of the higher-class inns. It's a big kingdom, and our small home is low on the list of suitable lodgings.''

''A humble, if not belittling opinion.''

She shrugged. ''I know we can't compare to other establishments that regularly quarter anyone of Blueblood. But, I wouldn't change this place for the world. Besides, I know that no person of note will ever set foot in our home, so why worry over nothing?''

There was a moment of silence from the man as he acknowledged her words. ''I suppose that is one way of looking at it.''

''It's the only way I've ever looked at it.'' After a while, she had found a half-empty page in the book. She reached underneath the counter once more to retrieve a shabby quill and small pot of ink. ''If I could please have your signature?''