Chapter Twenty-Seven - Journey into Darkness

Chapter Twenty-Seven - Journey into Darkness

Levana contemplated locking her hands on Ailith's shoulders to stop her from bouncing after every five steps. They strode down a long corridor towards the armoury, bathing in the warmth of the hanging lanterns above and the sunlight blazing through the stain glass windows.

With Ailith's old armour rendered useless, still crumbling into charred pieces after tasting Turrock's flames, a new set was required. Her eager smile turned into a sly smirk the moment he entered her mind. She almost did a backflip when Levana briefed her on the mission. She couldn't have wished for a more fitting scenario to prove her worth by defeating the one who knocked her out of the tournament.

The trainee noticed Ailith's knowing look. ''What are you smiling about now?''

''I'm just looking forward to my rematch with Turrock.''

Levana scurried forward to cut off Ailith's path, stopping the warrior and staring at her with a worried expression. ''No, no, there will be no rematch. We are merely going to question him. As long as no one starts any trouble, there will be no need for anyone to get into any fights.''

Ailith shrugged with a smile. ''I know, but if he starts any trouble, I guarantee at least one of his hands will end up broken.''

''How can you appear so pleasant and yet possess such a violent passion?''

A loud clang forced Ailith's gaze inside of the armoury and her breath hitched in her throat. The armoury was darkly lit and humid, but well sized and spacious, hosting ten or so individuals clad in bulky, protected attire and iron masks spotted with soot. Some of the workers were standing over large anvils, swiftly striking the sizzling metal with hammers. Every impact caused the smell of molten fire to greet her.

The sound of Levana clearing her throat for the third time finally caught Ailith's attention. "We need to hurry, the others are waiting.''

With an affirmative nod, Ailith went to choose her armour. Lined up on the walls were the finished products of the worker's labour. Ailith wished she could stay longer to marvel at the expert craftsmanship. After a quick survey, her eyes linked with one particular set. Made from two layers of red metal sheets, the armour protected everything from the neck, while still appearing nimble and easy to move in. The most striking feature that grabbed the warrior was the shoulders. Squared and fairly small in size they were decorated with a gold Dragon skull on one side, and a gold Vreaper skull on the other. She smiled and trailed her hand along the Knight's symbol branded on the breastplate.

~X~

''I was going to ask why you didn't also choose a weapon. But, knowing you, you would have given it to the enemy.''

Ailith gave a cheeky laugh. She couldn't conjure a witty retort as she was still buzzing over her new armour. The weight surprised her. Lighter than expected, even after being adjusted and tightened to fit her physique, it enfolded to her body as naturally as her magic. She beamed, knowing that she made the right choice.

Levana searched the warrior for any sign of uncertainty but found none. Ailith didn't exude an aura of absolute confidence, yet, there was something bright and hopeful in her manner that assured Levana she was partnered with a capable ally.

Once they stepped out of the door, the scent of straw and horse welcomed them to the stables. Servants scurried around, preparing the horses and keeping themselves distant from Kuval, Jerimoth and Emlyn. The Knights were already armoured, equipped and mounted. Ailith's stride slowed for a second, savouring the moment while it lasted. Not even Jerimoth's disapproving leer could deter her as she walked to a horse being led out of its stall.