Chapter Forty-Four - Foundation Undone

Levana stirred, unable to sleep.

A slight buzzing prickled her skull and caused her pulse to quicken. She forced a single eye open and glanced around her sleeping chambers. Her fellow trainees were nowhere to be seen. Seeing the empty beds sent a jolt through Levana's conscious, rousing her until she was fully awake. She was clearly not the only one to be awoken suddenly at this late hour.

Despite all seeming well, something caused her to sweat with worry. She felt no pain or discomfort, yet something compelled her to retrieve her armour and shield from the small chest nestled at the foot of her bed. The disappearance of her roommates did nothing to qualm her jitters.

Only defensive weapons were allowed within trainee's rooms. She would either have to head to the armoury or pray that someone had a weapon she could borrow. Quickly, she suited up and held her shield as close as she could without tripping over it as she dashed out of her room and hoped to find answers.

Her patrol through the castle was not silent. She wasn't sure if this was a good thing, especially so long after curfew. The sound of dozens of metallic footsteps pounded through the corridors. Shadows slithered across the candlelit walls, giving the illusion that Levana was not alone.

With each cautious footstep, Levana slowed until she came to a full stop. ''This is ridiculous,'' she mumbled to herself. The tremble in her voice was almost timed rhythmically with the sound of her quaking armour. ''I'm fretting over nothing. It must be some kind of training exercise. One...that everyone but I was instructed to attend.''

''Levana?''

The trainee released a frightful scream. She turned sharply to face the newcomer, but covered her face with her shield, preventing her from seeing who the person was.

She waited for a moment and nothing happened. Gradually, she lowered her shield and glanced over it until she was staring at Marina. The Knight gazed back at Levana with her arms folded over her armoured chest and a single brow raised.

''Oh, Lady Marina, it's only you.'' Levana sighed with relief, then clenched when she realised how that sounded. ''Not that I'm reassured it's only you. I'd have been just as prepared if it were an enemy. I understand if you mistook my battle cry for a shriek of terror.''

Marina shot her an amused smirk. ''Any reason why you are traversing alone?''

Levana gulped, setting aside any shame or humiliation she felt for now. ''I woke to find everyone gone and felt something...something amiss.''

A flicker of a seriousness appeared in Marina's eyes. ''Everyone has been summoned to the main hall for a meeting.''

''Even trainees? At this hour?''

''I'm unsure of the details,'' Marina shrugged. ''I'm just here to find lost sheep, such as yourself.''

Levana's eyes lowered. ''Lost wouldn't have been the word I would use.''

Marina's curled lip faltered after hearing the hurt in the trainee's voice. A second or two of silence followed. She opened her mouth to speak.

The ground beneath them shook. A distant scream could be heard echoing up a flight of stairs at the corridor.

The two women turned in the direction of the commotion. More screams and shouts followed, along with the sound of clashing metal. Levana's heart filled with dread. While she was still new to all of this, she knew the echo of a battle. Another booming noise roared from the other side of the corridor. Whatever was happening, it wasn't an isolated incident. No matter where Levana turned, her ears caught the sound of a fight.