Chapter Sixty-Seven - Back to Back

Chapter Sixty-Seven – Back to Back

Nassandra rested her elbows on the parapet and gazed at the passing trees, reflecting on her journey since leaving the only place she'd ever called home.

With the Silverbacks, few land creatures dared to come close. Birds of prey that stalked the sky were another issue. Giant ravenous crows would swop down and try to pluck the eyeballs out of the Silverback's sockets. They were quick, but the fighters of the camp were quicker, stopping the crows from feasting on their animal companions. However, even things that didn't seem alive could carry the threat of death. The stream they followed forked towards a hot spring, were man-sized bubbles gently floated around them. If someone got too close, they were trapped inside as it enveloped them and carried them high into the trees, where they would have never been found if not for Nassandra's quick thinking and sharp-shooting with her bow.

A routine search for clean water and food across a marsh-swamp turned into a mad scramble to survive when the swamp split open and almost swallowed them. Geysers blasted out of the ground, making the rescue more challenging. Thanks to a combination of great leadership from Emlyn, a keen eye from Nassandra, Ailith's sheer determination, and an awful lot of luck, they were able to pull everyone to safety. Returning to the Silverback herd, they watched the swamp ripple and move before a whale rose out of the depths to greet them with a booming call and an explosion of water from its blowhole. They were almost crushed by Swamp Whales, and yet, they were still in awe as they watched them swim off into the distance.

Trees with acidic sap. Falling acorns that turned any living thing they touched into stone. The camp quickly learnt not to underestimate anything Mameth Forest presented to them. Anything that could stop them, tried to stop them.

Nassandra glanced down at her palms. They stung with blisters. The muscles in her arms and legs groaned almost as loudly as her stomach. This aching was so unfamiliar and alien to yet. Despite this, she smiled to herself. She was proud of how far she'd come. And she was thankful to those on this journey with her.

''You're doing it again.'' She heard Emlyn's irritated voice over her shoulder.

''I'm not doing anything!'' Ailith retorted.

Nassandra turned to watch the two women bicker. Emlyn sat cross-legged with her hands resting on her lap and her eyes closed. She could have been mistaken for a statue if not for the breeze blowing against her white hair. Beside her, was Ailith doing her best to mimic the swordswoman's calm posture.

''You're breathing too loudly.'' Emlyn accused.

Ailith opened one eye to glare at her. ''I'm meditating exactly as you are.''

''I can tell you're not,'' Emlyn said. ''You're unfocused. Don't let your concentration be swayed by your other senses.''

''How do I do that without becoming blind, deaf and numb?''

Emlyn released an exasperated huff through her nose. ''Aura is everywhere. Meditation helps you better understand your own. The sooner you understand it, the easier it'll be to channel it through your magic. You can't let distractions happening around you slow down your progress.''

''But, I think connecting with the aura around me might help...''

''Not if you don't master your aura first.''

Standing quietly for a moment, Nassandra twisted her body. ''If I'm being a nuisance, I-,''

''You're not a nuisance, Your Highness,'' Emlyn said. ''Unlike others.''

''Hey!''

''I wasn't referring to you.''

Ailith furrowed her brows at the swordswoman before a noise to the side caught her notice. They were not only on the walkway. Two campers were arguing amongst themselves as they dangled over the edge to get their fishing rods as far as possible. The Silverback's trek had led them to a large, murky lake. As they walked across, a few eager campers hoped to catch their next supper. But, those hopes were dashed when their fishing hooks crashed against the bottom of the lake, indicating that the water was too shallow for anything of decent size to dwell within.