Chapter 4

When she stepped back in the bakery, Kellan was passed out on the floor his chin touching his chest. With an exasperated sigh, Eva grabbed a damp cloth from the sink and dabbed his forehead gently, coaxing him to wake up. When he finally came to with a groan, she helped haul him to his feet and they drunkenly weaved their way to Eva's car in the back.

She dumped him in the backseat and closed the door, clambering in the driver's seat. Kellan lethargically watched as she weaved the little car in and out through traffic until finally making her way to a small white one story house in a gated community. The green shutters on the windows and pretty blue door only added to the appeal. Eva parked the car in the driveway and got out, shivering as she glanced at the sky. It was cold enough she wished she had a jacket. The sun had set and the sky was an ominous gray, threatening to rain again.

Kellan groaned as he felt her arms under his shoulders lifting him and tugging. He made a giant effort to help and leaned against the car when he finally stood on his feet again. He swayed dizzily, the cold air making him shiver in his still wet clothes.

"Eva, dear," called a woman's voice, "Who's that you got with you?"

Eva cursed under her breath, plastering a smile on her face and looking up at the elderly woman standing by her mailbox across the street. She called cheerily, "Mrs. Windham, how are you today?"

Mrs. Windham replied appropriately, watching the pair with hawk-like eyes.
Eva closed the car door and cast a panicked glance at Kellan, whose head was beginning to sag. "Stay awake," she hissed, elbowing him, "If I'm going to risk my neck for your scrawny butt, at least don't purposefully expose us."

Kellan glared at her and said indignantly, "My butt is not scrawny."

"Who's the fellow with you?" called out Mrs. Windham again curiously.

Eva huffed at Kellan but smiled as she said, "He's a distant cousin. In town for the week, and he needed a place to stay so I offered."

Mrs. Windham cleared her throat and retrieved her mail before saying, "I see. Well have a good night, dear."

Eva watched as the woman turned to go indoors. She waited until she was inside and then Eva turned to Kellan and said, "Try not to limp too much. She's probably watching us from behind the drapes."

Kellan scoffed and then huffed, "Nosy neighbors you got there."

"You have no idea," answered Eva, gripping his arm in an unobtrusive method of support. He leaned more and more heavily on her, his breath coming in pants as they made it to her side door and inside. He almost collapsed as the door closed behind him. Eva caught him and pulled his arm over her shoulders and nearly dragged him to the couch. Sinking down on the couch with a groan, he breathed heavily as Eva went to retrieve the rubbing alcohol, and several bandages. Her phone rang suddenly, nearly scaring her witless. She fished around in her jacket pocket and finally grabbed it.

"Hi, Michael," she said, setting the first aid kit down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"Hello, demon sister of mine," came the cheery response.

Eva rolled her eyes as he asked, "Have you talked to Dad recently?"

"He just called," answered Eva, grabbing the scissors and snipping a length of gauze.

"Mom and Dad really need to stop taking these sudden vacations," Michael ranted, "I was planning a huge bash for mom's birthday and now its all canceled."

"Unhuh," answered Eva distractedly.

She held the phone to her ear with her shoulder as she grabbed the hem of Kellan's soaked black Henley and pulled it up to his chest. He groaned as she helped maneuver his arm through the hole. Michael stopped his rant and asked, "Eva are you alright?"