Chapter 6

Eva grabbed her bottle of Tylenol out of the cabinet in the bathroom and forced a couple of the small white tablets down Kellan's throat a few minutes later. Her heart pounded in her chest as she contemplated what to do. "Don't you dare die on me," she commanded, her voice wavering, "I have no clue how to hide a dead body."

His eyes cracked open and he gave a hoarse laugh before wheezing. "I can't help you there," he said in a gravelly voice, "Might ask the two agents that tried to bump me off. They might have some ideas."

She shook her head and said, "No thanks."

Hours later, Eva watched the steady rise and fall of Kellan's chest as he slept. His fever was still high. She sighed as she picked at her nails, glancing out the window to the cold day outside. Bruce and Ella were running the café for her today. After calling and telling them she was feeling a bit sick, she had played nurse all day.

Glancing back at Kellan as a troubled moan left his lips, she was a bit unsure of the success of her nursing. She had taken to bathing him with cold water every so often, trying to get his fever down, and pushing Tylenol down his throat.

If he had an infection, Eva knew he needed antibiotics. Her phone beeped in her lap as she contemplated what to do next. She glanced down. It was her mother. They had safely arrived in Italy. Eva smiled.

Another strangled sound came from Kellan and Eva got up from her perch on the armchair and made her way over to the bed. His eyelids fluttered and his body tensed as she laid her cool hand on his forehead before running her hand down the side of his face. He sighed and nudged his face into her palm, his hot breath caressing her hand. Eva blushed hotly as her touch relaxed him from whatever dream he was having. "What am I gonna do with you?" she murmured.

He tossed his head to the side as another shiver wracked his body, his hands clutching the duvet tightly. It was pitiful and Eva felt her heart clench. Seeing a fellow human in such agonizing pain made her want to throw up. She moved away from the bed to stare out the window again. Her eyes widened suddenly as she grabbed her cell-phone. She stared a moment at the contact; Shelby Larson. Her finger hovered over the call button as she debated her options. Would she even listen? Eva bit her lip. Shelby owed her. It had been two years since they had seen each other, but they regularly talked on social media. With a deep inhale, Eva hit the call button and hesitantly held the phone to her ear. The call went straight to voicemail.

"Hi, this is Doctor Shelby Larson. Leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

Eva waited for the customary beep and then said shakily, "Hi, Shelby. This is Eva Wilde. I need a favor. Give me a call back on this number please."

After the cryptic message, Eva hung up quickly and paced the floor. She was going way out on a limb here; trusting Shelby to keep Kellan's secret. He was going to kill her when he regained consciousness.

Her phone ringing sometime later woke her up out of a light sleep. Eva grabbed for her phone, juggling it, before managing to hit the answer button with shaky hands. "Hello?" she questioned.

"Hi, Eva," said a chirpy voice, "Shelby here. It's been ages since I heard from you, girl! What's happening?"

"Shell," sighed Eva, "You have no clue of the mess I'm in."

"Are you alright?" Shelby's voice was sharp.

"I think so," mumbled Eva, rubbing her head with her hand. She checked on Kellan before getting up and moving into the living room where she could talk without disturbing Kellan's sleep.

A few minutes after she left the room, Kellan groaned, shuffling on the bed.
"Eva?" he croaked, consciousness slowly coming back to him.

His shoulder and leg felt like they were on fire. He groaned as with consciousness also came the pain. His chest heaved for air as the first wave of pain tightened every muscle in his body.

"Eva!" he called desperately, opening his eyes a crack. Where was she? He heard quick light footsteps tapping against the wood floors and he smelled coconut. He almost sighed in relief when he felt a cool hand on his forehead. His eyelids fluttered closed again. He tried to speak again but his words disappeared as he shivered. Sweat covered his body and he trembled. He swallowed down the bitter taste of bile as his stomach rolled.

"Shhh," said Eva softly.

Kellan opened his eyes as he felt Eva's hands gently rearranging the pillows beneath his head. After making sure he was comfortable, Eva said, "We need to get some food in you. My friend is going to be coming by with some antibiotics for you later."

He tried to sit up as he demanded weakly, "What?"

Eva avoided his eyes as she straightened the duvet and said evasively, "I called in a favor. You should be thanking me."

With a groan, Kellan fell back on the bed as his shoulder seized. Eva looked at him sympathetically. "I trust her," she said simply, "She's a good friend."

He swallowed hard biting back the angry words he wanted to spit at her. "You have to have antibiotics," said Eva, pressing her hand against his forehead again, "Your fever is spiking again."

Kellan's eyes closed and darkness covered everything as he faded away from reality. It was just too hard to stay awake.

The next few hours were exhausting. Kellan was out of his mind. Eva grew more and more afraid for him. Shelby wasn't supposed to arrive before night, so Eva was on her own. Kellan was delirious; calling out for her, his mom and some man named Sharrow.

Eva sat close to him on the bed, doing her best to keep him calm. He stared at her with large glassy eyes as she stroked his face with her hand. "It's alright," she said, "You're alright. You're safe."

He nodded slowly, staring at her entranced. His lips parted as he stared at her like he could see her soul. Eva grew uncomfortable under his gaze and moved to get up. She needed to get some fresh cool water. He caught her hand in his; his eyes wide and pleading.

"Stay with me."

His movements were frantic, his voice showing vulnerability as he pleaded, "Don't leave me."

Eva felt tears well up in her eyes as he mumbled, "Don't wanna be alone."

"You're not alone," she whispered, holding his hands in hers, "I'm here."

..........

Who else's heart just hit their toes like a stone? Mine did. Kellan is so sweet. Let me know what you think. I've had a rough past few days, guys. That my excuse for not updating sooner. Please accept my humble apologies. Vote and comment please!!!!

XOXO,

Scarlett