1:1

Emersyn Mae Culper, POV.

Columbia University; New York, USA.

Flashback: 4 Years Ago.

I stared at him, memorizing the features of his face with a smile. His light-brown hair, contrasting with the beautiful light within his eyes. The mixtures of blue outlining his eyes with the dark brown color blending smoothly around his pupil. His tan sun-kissed skin, his pearly white teeth. Everything was just beautiful about him, except for the fact that all of those features, that I grew to love were fixated on someone else. Not just anyone though, my sister.

My heart broke at the sight of them. God, how long can I bear such pain for?

I watched his eyes as he stared at her with certainty, love and just other emotions that I couldn't bear to think of. The sudden close at my throat, the constriction of breath, as if each breath I took to be alive in this life was already worth more than the cost that it took to get my heart back together. The tightness in my chest continued, along with the sudden blurriness within my vision. I quickly looked at the sky, attempting to keep the clear, salty fluid from flowing down my face. The continuous reminder that I'm not good enough for him to notice me, replays. What's wrong with me? Why doesn't he love... me? Why can't he love me?

Feeling a stray tear leave my face, I quickly turned around before clamping my eyes shut. God Mae, hold yourself together. Just one more month. Just one and you can finally start a new life without them in it. Just, please don't break in front of them.

Wiping the betraying tear, I slowly lean against the tree that I stood behind. Hearing the sound of her laughter and his quiet whispers, I try to compose myself. Control, come on Mae. I just hope they don't realize I 'cried'. Oh god, is it obvious?

"Hey Em, sorry we're late-", Her smooth and soft voice broke the nature, along with the silent fight I tried to withhold.

"Yeah, we got caught up", His beautiful rich and deep voice filled the air, bringing comfort to my soul. God, I'm weak. I could hear the playfulness in his tone, along with a double-meaning, one that wasn't hard to think of.

Slowly but surely I lifted my head from my book, as my right leg remained on top of my left. My brunette hair getting caught from my sister's view- Only allowing me to focus on him. My heart beating rapidly, as my nervousness got the best of me. My eyes scanning him up and down quickly, before looking fully at my sister- flashing them both a smile.

Oh god, he miss-placed a button with the wrong hole, his pants are wrinkled, his lips swollen. Her top is wrinkled, her skirt rode up, halfway to her thigh, her knees had faint carpet marks on them- Where is a paper bag, I need to breathe- God, I need to get out-

"Someone seems distracted- Is it because of me?", He laughs out before making a pose. If he only knew.

"Hey sis, you seem a little... pale. Are you okay?", The worry on her face was evident, the sudden movement of her shifting her way towards me. She smells like him- I have to go. The air here is suffocating.

"I-I'm fine, I think it might just be my period, haha cramps, am I right?", rushing out; giving her a faint smile and slight chuckle- struggling to gather my things, without seeming suspicious. She instantly understands, before helping me. Offering her hand, to stand up. I take it.

"Do you want us to take you home?", I hear his voice but don't register his question until I realize I was just staring off into the distance. I need to leave- NOW, the tears are welling up again-