Chapter Eight•

Merlin's POV;
We were two days ride from Camelot still. The hours turned into minutes and the minutes to seconds. Time was slipping beneath my feet and I couldn't stop it, not even with my magic.

Truth be told there was nothing I could do, I wanted to be with Arthur to the point of running away together. But it was ridiculous. I'd had some thought about it whilst on our journey home. He was so into the plan, but I furrowed my brows each time he'd speak of it. Arthur needed a wife, he needed an air. He needed a life.

I couldn't give him an air and I'd turn his kingdom against him. He would be a good king, of course he would. We've turned him into this fine, brave soldier. He was no longer my prat. The prat who bullied servants.

I smirked at the very thought of our first encounter. "I could take you apart with one blow." He'd say, with that awful rugged look. I smirked, knowing I had magic.

"I could take you apart with less than that."

I smiled once more. I really could've. But the way it sounded too, how did I miss it? From the get go, we were meant for one another.

Love was such a funny thing. I didn't recall feeling for Arthur until recently. I didn't look at him in that way at all. And I wasn't really sure about what Fabians plan were, after all, he was a man too.

Every direction and thought I had trapped and pondering in my mind fluctuated. I couldn't find a way out of this mess I'd grown into. Maybe I should've stayed away from Camelot in the first place and none of it would've happened, but then Arthur would also be dead. The amount of times I've saved his ass.

I sighed and looked at Arthur and Gwen whom were still asleep. The sun was almost arising. I could make out the shimmer of orange and pink rising over the horizon.

If I'm honest I felt a little sick. These feelings and emotions and what happened all just murmured into one and I felt heavy. Why did this have to happen to me?

I had to face my fear sooner than later. Fabian would be in Camelot waiting my very return. Waiting Arthur's return.

3rd Person;

"Good morning clot-pole." Arthur smirked, his hair all messy and his cheeks red from waking. Merlin smiled.

"That's still my name for you." Merlin answered. He'd began cooking fish and herbs for breakfast, nothing much else to eat when you're in the forest and there isn't a Giuas or other servants to cook for you.

Gwen awoke too.

"Mm. Is that? It is." Gwen smiled as she opened her tent and stepped forward.

Merlin and Arthur turned to face her.

"Good morning Gwenivere." Arthur smirked.

"Morning Gwen." Merlin said, passing her a wooden plate.

Gwen sat down and began to eat her food.

"So, I've been thinking, and I don't think we should go forwards with the plan." Merlin blurted, his blue eyes met Arthur's.

"Do you have a better idea?"

"Arthur. You need a wife, you need an air. I can't provide. I'll always be your manservant, but it can't be. We have to accept that."

Arthur grunted, he threw his plate to the floor and walked off in a strop.

"Gwen. I don't know what to do." Merlin sulked.

"Well. Merlin. It's a tough situation. I-"

Just as Gwen tried to speak Arthur crawled back into camp.

"I understand. Merlin. I'll always love you, but if an air and wife if what I need, then I shall marry and conceive. If that's what you really want."

Merlin nodded, as hurtful as it was.

The three started to pack up and make their way home.

Merlin was baffled at how well Arthur was acting. He'd been so fixated on his plan and all of a sudden it was okay? Something was wrong.

Gwen felt awkward and intense. She kept her eyes on the trail and didn't say a word.

"Princess Adelaide could be a suitable queen." Merlin muttered as everyone was quiet.

Arthur gritted his teeth at Merlin's sarcasm.

"Of course." Arthur replied.

But they were closer than they'd hoped. They could see Camelot from over the steep grassy slope they'd tracked.

"As soon as I get back to my chambers I shall write to her." Arthur sighed as he ruffled his hair. It caught Merlin's attention.

"Something wrong Merlin?" Arthur asked.

Merlin stopped looking at him and shook his head.

"I tell the servants to prepare a feast on her arrival then." Merlin said, raising a brow.

Gwen bit her bottom lip and looked down. She kept wishing they'd stop arguing, but how could they in a position like this?

Guards were scattered around the area looking for their prince. Arthur called for their help. Sir Leon and Sir Gwaine came running from the distance.

"Merlin. Go straight to your room once we enter the castle. I don't want you coming in contact with Fabian."

The name made Merlin's skin crawl.

Merlin nodded and looked down at himself. The greenish, yellow bruises were still there, a reminder of that horrible night. An act of pure violent jealousy.

"Get Merlin to Giuas and take Gwen to her home Leon, Gwaine I need to talk to you."

Whilst the others were half way down the hill, Arthur told Gwaine about what Fabian did to Merlin and that he needed him out of the castle.

"Arthur, I'm afraid the only way to do that is to sign the treaty."

Arthur sighed. The treaty. Why on earth would he sign the treaty when he attacked Merlin and over what? Some stupid jealousy.

Arthur agreed and allowed Gwaine to lead him. Arthur was weak, Merlin was weak. They'd eaten almost the same thing for breakfast, lunch and supper for almost a week.

Arthur missed his training. He smiled at the sound of swords clashing from where his knights were in practise.

"Sire." He heard all of them say as they stood up straight and welcomed him home.

"Arthur my dear boy! What happened?" Uther said as he approached his son.

"A gang of thugs attacked us, I needed to save Gwen and it took longer than expected." Arthur replied.

Fabian and his father marched in, anger slapped on their faces.

"Where exactly have you been?" The king yelled, slamming the treaty onto the table in front of them.

Uther sighed and patted Arthur on the shoulder.

"It's now or never."

Arthur took one look at Fabian. He wanted to pull his sword and kill him, but he stayed calm and signed the treaty. Fabian signed after him.

"Done. Now, may I rest father?" Arthur asked.

Uther nodded and sat back down on his throne.

-

Arthur rushed up to his chambers before Fabian could follow. But follow he did.

Arthur heard the knocking on his doors.

"Come in." He sighed.

"Arthur. Glad to see you're home and well. How's Gwen?"

"She's good, she's at home, hopefully resting as I should be."

Fabian caught that it was a dig and respectfully left the room.

Arthur was stuck, what would he do now?