Chapter Twenty Three•

As the ambulance arrived with its sirens screaming; colours flashed red and blue, Merlin was distraught and couldn't think straight. He felt the blood rush to his head as people gathered around him in the streets.

Two medics carried Arthur into the ambulance.

"Who are you?" Merlin asked the medics.

They looked at him; dazzled.

"We're here to help young man. Are you a relative, boyfriend?" One questioned; needing to know.

"I'm- Yes; I'm, his boyfriend." Merlin blurted.

They let Merlin get in and sit with Arthur whom was in and out of consciousness. He was losing too much blood.

"Arthur. Please don't die. I need you. Camelot needs you." Merlin cried. He was covered in Arthur's blood and shaky. He felt as if he'd pass out but needed to stay with Arthur.

The medics quickly attached a blood bag to Arthur after matching up his blood type; Merlin had no idea what was going on. He didn't even know how he was moving as he'd never been in a car before. Merlin wouldn't dare ask questions though, as long as they were saving Arthur, he was calm and tranquil.

"Merlin." Arthur whispered.

Merlin shot up and smiled. "I'm here, Arthur. Are you okay?"

A tear rolled down Merlin's cheek. Arthur didn't respond but held Merlin's hand a little tighter.

Finally, they pulled up outside the hospital and rushed Arthur into a surgery ward. Merlin was told to wait outside as they slammed the blue curtains so Merlin wouldn't see.

Merlin couldn't see Arthur anymore. He sniffled and cried and started to hyper-ventilate. He chanted a spell to release Arthur from his pain.

"You okay?" A woman softly asked. Merlin looked up to the woman. He double took. It was Arthur's mother.

"Igraine?" Merlin asked, wiping the tear from his eye.

"Yes. Everything alright?" She said, sitting beside Merlin. She guessed he knew her name by her name badge.

In this world, Arthur's mother was still alive. It was strange.

"Arthur. My-my- he's dying." Merlin stuttered.

She passed Merlin a box of tissues and sighed; placing her hand on his back for support.

"When I was young, I had a baby called Arthur. He died in my arms. I'll never forget that beautiful little face he had." Igraine said as she allowed a tear to fall from her face. She wiped the tear and smiled as if to comfort Merlin.

"Arthur had the same problem, but his mother died when he was born; instead of the other way around." Merlin explained. She smiled.

"I guess we both went into different alternative universes. Hey." She tried to laugh to make the situation better.

Merlin smiled. Maybe they did after all.

It came to about 5:00pm before the curtain opened holding Arthur inside.

"I am really, really sorry young lad. But it seems that he'll only make it throughout the night. He has internal bleeding of the stomach and it has spread to quickly for us to resolve. You can go in, he's awake."

Merlin began to block everyone's voice out. He put his hands to his ears and fell to the floor as he collapsed in shock.

A couple of hours later Igraine managed to wake Merlin up.  Merlin was comforted by nurses and doctors.

"You seemed to have passed out by shock. Are you okay?" One of the nursed asked.

Merlin nodded.

"Go spend some time with Arthur before it's time to say goodbye." Igraine said, holding Merlin's hand. Merlin smiled and walked into the ward slowly.

The nurse closed the curtain to gave Merlin and Arthur some space and privacy.

"No. Arthur. You're the future king of Camelot. You can't die. I won't let you."

Merlin shut his eyes. He had to use magic.

Arthur frowned, he was weak; but he definitely knew what was going on.

Merlin out-stretched his hand and whispered an enchantment-

Arthur widened his eyes. "Merlin- what are you doing? Don't use your magic on me."

After Merlin cast the spell, about 30 seconds later, Arthur felt incredible and stronger.

"I found out the end to our story Arthur."

"And what's that?"

"Acceptance. I had to make you see who I really was, and accept if you loved me for that, or not."

"Merlin, I will love you no matter what. I know you aren't evil. Not all magic is." Arthur said, grabbing Merlin's hand.

Merlin laughed and hugged Arthur at the sight of him being back to his normal; bossy self.

The police had arrested the man from the harbour side and informed Arthur and Merlin they were safe from him and that he'd be imprisoned for years.

At least something was still normal about the world. Justice, just a little different.

"He'd be hung if that happened in Camelot." Arthur grunted.

"Shh!" Merlin snapped. Igraine walked in. Arthur and Igraine held eye contact for a while before she spoke.

"I have no idea how you recovered from that injury, but I'd say you're one of the luckiest men alive."

Merlin watched Arthur's reaction as he saw his mother as a nurse.

"Mother?" Arthur whispered.

"Oh, no. I'm not-"

Arthur cleared his throat.

"No of course not, I'm sorry. It's just that. Never mind."

Igraine smiled at him.

"It's okay. You have the eyes of my son, he died at birth. You remind me of him. Believe it or not, he was also called Arthur."

Arthur was intrigued. The woman in-front of him was his mother. But why didn't she recognise him?

Arthur and Merlin were still holding hands. Arthur smiled at Merlin, his protector, his lover. They didn't know how they were going to survive in Camelot. But they'd do it together. All along they needed this journey to understand each other, to accept their love and accept one another flaws.

-