Chapter Seventeen•

The next morning, Merlin was carrying a pile of Arthur's washed clothes along the castle corridors with a smirk on his face, as per usual. Dodging other servants, knights or royalty was like the game of the morning to him. It was easy really; like straddles but faster. He still enjoyed carrying out his tasks around the castle, even if he was classed as royalty.

Merlin's favourite part of the day was waking up his annoying companion. It was a love hate relationship that both of them admired.

Merlin opened the door to Arthur's chambers and just as Merlin expected, Arthur was fast asleep. Merlin sighed. "Rise and shine." He said as he drawled the curtains. But Arthur didn't respond. He was like this every morning, and every morning Merlin rolled his eyes and had to find a way to get the prat of a prince-er king out of bed.

"Merlin, go away." Arthur groaned, burrowing his rough looking face into the pillow to avoid the sunlight beaming through the curtains. Merlin furrowed his brows and pulled the quilt of off him.

"Get. Up." Merlin ordered through breaths.

"Mmfph." That was all Merlin could make of what Arthur said next. Merlin looked around the room for something. He smiled when he saw a fresh, cold pale of water.

"Wakey, wakey." Merlin laughed, pouring the water onto him. Arthur woke up wide-eyed; coughing. He frowned at Merlin whom was stood next to him laughing. Merlin stopped and stared at Arthur who was clearly pissed off with him.

Arthur immediately jumped from his bed and put Merlin in a headlock. He began rubbing Merlin's head with his knuckles and laughed when Merlin's head puffed up like a bear waking up after a long winter.

"Don't you ever do that again, is that understood Merlin?" Arthur sighed with a straight face. Merlin agreed with the biggest sarcastic grin on his face.

"And, um, where's my breakfast, Merlin?" Arthur asked as he got himself dressed. Merlin blushed at the sight of him shirtless, but flustered it off immediately, helping him with his top half.

"Your-Breakfast. Ah." Merlin mumbled. Arthur rolled his eyes and sighed.

"You forgot my breakfast didn't you."

Merlin stumbled on his words and pointed towards the door, letting himself out. Arthur laughed and sat down at the wooden table and bench beside his bed waiting for his trusty servant to get back. They were both teasing one another, acting as if nothing had happened. Enjoying and savouring the last day Merlin would be able to flutter the castle walls as if he really were Arthur's servant.

Tomorrow was the day the monarchy would testify in defence or against Arthur's new rule.

Almost a minute later, Merlin walked in with a silver tray which was burning his hands. He tripped and the tray hit Arthur's arm leaving a scold. He laughed in between yells.

"Merlin. You are such an idiot." Arthur said, grabbing his knife and fork. He sighed. As Arthur began to eat, he looked at Merlin whom was smirking.

"What?" Arthur grunted.

"I saw Gwen making out with Lancelot."

Merlin and Arthur both began to laugh.

"I knew they liked each other." Arthur said, between mouthfuls.