Familiar

"Jesus, a meteor in Ireland and a woman stalking me while I was recording, what a weird day."

Signe faintly heard a familiar voice in her ears while her eyes slowly cracked open and she regained consciousness, pain arcing through body with every movement as if she had been struck by lightning.

When she tried moving her wings, she found that they had burnt off in the fall to her despair, her grace gone as well.

She was human.

"What the hell?! Hello, are you okay?"

Signe opened her eyes enough to see the green haired man standing over her with concern shining in his sapphire blue eyes.

Signe opened her mouth, but found herself unable to speak as she looked around her.

"Here, let me help ya." The man offered, extending a hand towards her.

Signe gratefully accepted his help, feeling herself pulled up off of the ground and onto her feet.

She glanced back and noticed that when she landed, she had left a large crater in the street.

"You look familiar." He thought aloud, scrutinizing her.

"Were you at my window recently?" The man asked curiously, not seeming too bothered that Signe had casual stalked him.

"Yeah, um, I've been trying to find someplace I could go." Signe sighed.

"Oh....did you fall in the hole where the meteor landed?" He inquired, awkwardly changing the subject.

"I-uh, yeah." Signe stuttered, feeling a twinge of guilt in the pit of her stomach for lying.

"Someone must've taken off with the meteor or whatever fell outta the sky." The man mused as he started walking off.

"Wait!" Signe instinctively called out, unsure why she did.

H paused and looked back at her, waiting for her to speak.

"I...I don't have any money and I don't have a place to stay." Signe admitted truthfully.

"Oh, uh..." The man trailed off.

"Fuck it, go ahead and stay with me until you get on your feet." He decided after a moment's hesitation.

"The name's Sean McLoughlin by the way, but my friends also call me Jack." He added as he started walking off again with Signe jogging to catch up to him.

"I'm Signe Hansen." Signe replied, using her vessel's name instead of her own.

"Nice to meet ya Miss Hansen." Mr. McLoughlin smiled as he looked over his shoulder at her, not noticing her blush as he looked forward again.

"Thank you Mr. McLoughlin." Signe replied softly.

"Home sweet home." Mr. McLoughlin announced as he swung he door of his home open.

The room was small yet cozy with a desk to the right and a bed pressed to the corner in the left, dirty clothes and food wrappers strewn everywhere on the black carpeted floor even though there was a trash can by his desk.

"Sorry its a bit of a mess...I've been a bit of a mess myself lately." He chuckled to hide the sadness in his tone, the humorous light in his eyes dimming slightly as he started cleaning.

"I can help." Signe volunteered, bending down to scoop up some of the trash.

"Thanks." Mr. McLoughlin smiled in appreciation.

"No problem." Signe shrugged casually to pretend that she wasn't secretly pleased as she threw the trash away.

By the time the room was clean, it looked much nicer than it had before, making her satisfied.

"It's pretty late, I'll go ahead and set your bed up." Mr. McLoughlin told her as he walked out of the room and over to the couch.

Signe watched as he grabbed blankets off off his bed and laid them out on the couch, smoothing them out before fluffing up a pillow and laying it on the end of the couch for her.

"Thanks Mr. McLoughlin." Signe smiled.

"Just call me Sean." He told her before walking back to his room and closing the door.

"Goodnight Sean." Signe whispered to the air as she laid down on the couch and looked up at the ceiling, wondering what to do with her new human life.