three

THE TEST

THE TEST

When they opened, she looked around in confusion. Everything was the same. Camilla ran a hand down her face, maybe she had already done it and just couldn't remember.

"Hey, Jane!" She called, sitting up, her head was still in her hands, "I don't think it worked — Jane?"

The redhead couldn't see the Abnegation woman anywhere. The mirror in front of her only showed herself in the chair. Camilla looked around, making sure it wasn't playing tricks on her, but the mirror was telling the truth. Jane and the electrodes were gone. Only the door was left.

Camilla slipped out of the chair and slowly approached the door. It opened with a long squeak, and she found herself in the cafeteria, only there weren't any tables or people anymore. Everything was gone, except for two stands in the centre of the room. On one was a slab of cheese, and on the other, a knife the length of her forearm.

"Gross," Camilla said, wrinkling her nose at the solid slab of cheese.

Suddenly a woman's voice called out from behind her, making Camilla jump. "Choose."

Spinning around, Camilla saw no one. Her brows furrowed in confusion as she spun again, slower that time, before she found herself looking back at the stands — still no sight of any other person.

"Hello?" Camilla called.

"Choose." The voice repeated.

Neither the cheese or knife looked very appealing to Camilla, and she couldn't quite wrap her head around why she was being asked to choose between the two of them. The redhead tilted her head to the side and asked, "Why?"

"Choose!" The voice yelled, and Camilla winced at the volume of it.

Folding her arms over her chest, she shook her head. If the voice wouldn't listen to Camilla, then why should Camilla listen to the voice?

"I'm not choosing until I know why I need to."

Camilla swore she heard the voice sigh, and the next thing she knew, both the knife and cheese had vanished. Her jaw dropped, that wasn't what she expected.

A familiar squeak of a door reached Camilla's ears, and she turned around to see who it was, only it wasn't a person, but a dog. It crept towards her, growling, it's lips peeled back to reveal it's pearly white teeth.

Now I get it, she thought, slowly raising her hands, all that voice had to do was tell me and I would have chosen.

The dog slowly got closer to Camilla, and she realised she didn't have much time. The ginger thought about running. It was something she was good, but no matter how good, she could never outrun a dog. She also couldn't fight it, without the risk of being ripped apart (which wasn't very ideal). Camilla racked her brain for a solution. The thought of trying to hide behind the stands popped into her head, but after casting a short glance towards them and taking note of the distance, she knew it would be a struggle to even get there.