five

THE CHOICE

THE CHOICE

The rattling cart was a sea of red, orange, and yellow. Most of the faction was spread between the last few sections of the train. The nervous chattering filled the air, becoming a background hum to Camilla, who was standing next to the door, watching the scenery whip by.

"Hey, CeCe." A girl said. It didn't take long for her to recognise who it was, the soft and gentle voice belonging to only one person.

"Hi, Ava." She replied, sending a quick glance to the blonde before letting her eyes fall back onto the passing city. It wasn't long until they would have to get off at the station and bus the rest of the way.

Due to the fact that Amity was so far away from almost everywhere, the train would always stop at the faction and one station for them. It happened every day, at the same set times, like clockwork.

"You scared?" Her short friend asked. She reached towards the frame and gripped it for dear life, her knuckles turning white at the action.

"Why would I be scared?" The redhead inquired, avoiding the question. In all honesty, she was scared. Terrified, in fact.

"Because you're leaving," Ava responded with a shrug as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Camillas eyes bulged. She wrenched them away from the buildings and set them upon her friend. Her mouth gaping. "Why would you think that?"

The blonde let out a small scoff, a rare action for the girl to do. "I may seem dumb and oblivious, Cami, but I'm more observant than you think."

To say she was shocked would be an understatement, she began to splutter for-what? An excuse? An explanation? An apology? Not even Camilla knew what she was trying to say, the only thing leaving her mouth were incoherent words and noises.

"It's alright, Millie." Her friend consoled, calmly. Ava's free hand rose from her side so she could place it on her friend's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Ave," Camilla said quietly. What else was there to say? She was going to leave her lifelong friend, that much was certain.

"You don't have to be sorry" The blonde responded, her voice was soft and delicate, "If you need to leave in order to find your place then that's okay. If you're happy then so am I."

Camilla didn't respond as the train slowed to a stop. The two soon-to-be-adults climbed out of the cart, moving away from the crowd of other members. The moment they were out of the way, the redhead pulled her best friend into a hug. They gripped onto each other like it was the last hug they would ever share. There was a strong possibility that it was.

"Come on," Camilla said, pulling away. She rubbed her eyes, afraid she would begin to cry. "Let's go see if we can find Karl and El before we need to get on the buses."