Chapter 13

"The Ningyo Clan?"

"That's right. Yuki's parents once told us about them in a story. Legends states that in the lakes located in the mountains, creatures with the body of a human but fins of a fish lived there. We called them 'Merfolk'.

Ayame said while adjusting the reigns, her eyes sparkled at the mention of merfolk.

"Every month during the full moon, the lakes will glow a soft light and they will resurface, filling the air with their melodious voices. The Snow's people thought of it as good luck, but not all had the same opinion."

Ayame went quiet when Yuki hummed in her sleep, before continuing after comfirming Yuki was still sleeping.

"After the first merfolk was killed, they never resurfaced. Yuki's father was so furious that he had beheaded the culprits himselves. On that same year, the missing nins attacked us."

He didn't know why, but Kakashi couldn't help but place a hand on Ayame as a silent condolences, seeing how Ayame's frown was evident even under her white mask. Ayame smiled at Kakashi, thankful for the kind gesture.

The ride was silent with Ayame focusing on the ride while Kakashi looked around the surdoundings, which was nothing special really except for those forest that seemed to grow to no end. The silence was broke with Kakashi's grumbling as he tried to move around without tearing or wrinkling the delicate clothing.

"Damn these kimonos. How do woman even wear these?"

"Now you know how it likes to be woman, Hokage-sama. Besides, you look very attractive as one."

Kakashi glared at Ayame, who was grinning from eye to eye under her mask. In order to really blend in, Ayame had prepared a white kimono with the Snow's signature patterns on it. Kakashi even so far as to use a jutsu that made his hair longer and his face more feminine. Ayame had place makeup on the Hokage's face, much to the other's annoyance while the other fought to not laugh during the whole routine.

"What's the fuss?"

Yuki's head popped out of the window, her long blue hair was tied into a loose bun with a silver pin.

"Kushini here's trying to adjust to her new look."

Yuki turned and smile, causing Kakashi to blush, embaressed for someone else to see him in this outfit.

"Is that Kakashi-san's maiden name?"

"Yeah. It'll help to avoid suspiscion when we cross the borders to the Land of Swamps."

"Land of Swamps, you say?"

"A nasty place. The inhabitants have a tendency of stopping travelers and than rob them for money, food and even clothes."

"So the reason that you have big chariots lifting at least fifty pounds of food is to avoid them from going crazy at us."

"Well said, Kakashi-san."

"You are too kind, Yuki-kun."

Yuki smiled before leaning back into her carriage, reading a book as Kakashi's sharp hearings heard pages flipping from time to time.

After a few hours sitting, Kakashi swear he couldn't feel his butt anymore. Kakashi yawned as he leaned his head on his hands, careful to not be too ungraceful in his actions of trying to catch a nap. However Kakashi was interrupted when Ayame yanked harshly on the horses' reigns, causing them to huff and whine.

"Sorry, Kakashi-kun but I'm afraid you can't sleep yet. We're at the borders of the Land of Swamp."

Ayame sent an apolegetic smile at Kakashi who nodded as he got out of the carriage and took on the role as one of the escort, a smile hidden under his mask when he saw Kazeshi's familiar green eyes flash through the corner of his eyes before he disappeared into the forest.

____________________________________

Fortunately the ride through the Land of Swamps wasn't as bad as Kakashi had thought. Still, the inhabitants were looking at the carriage with other intentions in their eyes, but Ayame made it clear that they needed no disturbance since Kakashi could feel occasional flares of chakra from Ayame, warning anyone too close to back off.

After they had exited the boundaries of the Land of Swamps, Kakashi wanted to stepped out of the carriage and continue the journey on foot like the others, but he was stopped by Yuki who kindly let him to continue sitting on the carriage.

"Yuki-kun, I'm still an escort.. Shouldn't I.."

"No worries. The escorts sre supposed to be on foot after a short while. I wouldn't want them to walk these great distance on foot under the hot sun. Also, you're the Hokage, so do sit as long as you want."

"How very kind of you, Yuki-kun."

Kakashi thanked Yuki while the princess only smiled, and soon only the sounds of the carriage moving and horse hooves thumping filled the rest of the journey to the Land of Snow.

____________________________________

Kakashi and Yuki were having an active conservation about the history of shinobi when the carriage slowed down.

"Ooh, we're here~~"

Yuki popped her head out to the window, and the cheers of the Snow's villagers filled the air.

"Yuki-hime! Welcome back!"

"How was your trip to Konoha, hime-sama?!!"

Yuki smiled and waved at the villagers from inside the carriage, Kakashi stayed put in the carriage, only looked out the carriage when they had arrived at the castle grounds. Looking from the distance, Kakashi stared at the new and reconstructed Diamond Castle, which gleamed like a diamond beyond the horizon.

"I do hope you like gardens, Kakashi-san. 'Cause my castle is surrounded by them."

"I take it you like gardening."

"I love gardening. Whenever I feel stress or tired, I had always love to take a stroll through them. Gardening takes a lot of time and caring, but the results pays off in the end."

Kakashi hummed, agreeing with Yuki as he admired one of the exotic flowers that had bloomed just right outside his window. As the carriage came to a stop, Kakashi made a few hand seals and dropped his disguise, smoothing out his Hokage robes before coming down the carriage.

"Welcome to the Land of Snow, Hokage-sama."