Chapter 30: House of Lies

*A few weeks later*

*Brianna's POV*

We were getting ready for yet another of the boy's performances, but this one was going to be different. This was going to their biggest and most important performance they have ever done.

This was the Grand Final.

I was looking at my reflection in the mirror when I noticed a pile of newspapers neatly stacked on top of the washing basket. The one on top, in particular, stood out because of the picture on the front cover. The headline read:

'Louis Tomlinson, of X Factor boy-band One Direction, seen with blonde again'

And there, on the cover and underneath the title, there was a picture of Louis with a blonde girl. The same blonde as the one in the picture on the news a couple of weeks ago.

I quickly picked up the newspaper and walked out of the room in an attempt to get it to the bin before anyone could see the article on the front. That made me wonder if anyone has seen it.

Obviously someone has to have seen it. How else would it end up in the bathroom? I definitely didn't put it there.

I stopped at the doorway, checking to see if the coast was clear. It was. I walked out of the bathroom, and into the empty hallway.

It was strangely quiet, although the past few weeks have been full of awkward silences and unanswered questions, like 'how long will this secret remain a secret?'. Only now there was a more important question at the top of my list,

'Is it still a secret now?'

Who knows if it even was? I really wanted to know.

I kept walking, going down the stairs and reaching the kitchen. I walked in, seeing the wooden rubbish bin sitting at the end of the bench.

I rushed over to it, lifting up the lid and throwing the paper inside. I really hope no one was desperate to read it, because it's gone now, and no one else will be seeing that damn article.

I nearly had a heart attack upon hearing a voice behind me.

"Hey Bri"

I turned around to see Sarah, watching my every move like a hawk, staring at me with large green eyes from where she stood in the lounge room.

She was wearing a flowing, violet-coloured dress that went halfway down her thigh. On her feet was a pair of black heels. She had a small amount of makeup to cover up some light freckles, and her dyed blue hair was wavy, comfortably sitting against her shoulders.

"What're you up to?" she asked, not breaking off her gaze as she walked over to my position in the kitchen.

"You scared me" I said. I expected her to give me a sympathetic look, but instead she just let out a small but sly grin.

"That's what I was going for" she laughed.

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked, mostly out of curiosity of whether she saw the newspaper or not.

"Not long. About a minute or two" she replied, "what's going on? You look a bit frazzled."

"Nothing. I'm just a bit tired" I answered.

"Is that all?" she questioned the subject further.

"Yes" I lied. I couldn't tell her what was really wrong. What would she say?

"Well, make sure you're ready because we're going soon" she said as she walked past me and back up the stairs.

She obviously doesn't know about the secret.