O N E

ONE

Spring, April 2015

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

It's Friday of the second week of earliest spring month. And here I am, sitting on the bench in the lobby of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, waiting for my mother to finish paying my medical bills on the counter. I felt guilt to see my plump mother turned to be so skinny, knowing it's all my fault.

I was only seventeen years old yet I'm spending the whole semester in the hospital rather than in university.

Impatiently tapping my foot on the ground, biting my fingernails, I couldn't take off my eyes to the wall clock above her. The time is nine o'clock. If mom will go home at this hour then she could get enough rest but nevertheless for sure she will insist to stay here to take care of me. Her work tomorrow will be on seven o'clock in the morning, so she must be awake at four o'clock to go home and prepared her clothes.

I ascended automatically from the long seat as my mom moved a little on her position, but she just fixed something inside her bag, her money I guess.

Few seconds later, she turned toward me. That means she was done. Deborah Benoni is her name but she hates being called as Mrs. Benoni. My parents got separated when I was still in elementary, around seven or eight years old. Memories of my childhood was not clear anymore but as far as I remembered Dad went back to his hometown due to their severe argument and soon after that Mom lived with another man.

I don't blame Mom nor Dad, and I won't either. Even though I'm pretty much sure she had an affair that's why they got separated. They presumably had a double-edge reasons. Dad was totally a workaholic that time, perhaps mom spent every single day in boredom so she find someone that will bestow his time for the family. And that someone would be Gomer Amon. He was a reverend in a Christian elementary school, it happened to be my alma mater. Gomer was a great man, and a good stepfather to me. Unfortunately he left us last year due to heart attack. He was such a good person, losing him broke my heart.

"Mom, it's already nine o'clock. You should go home now and have some rest." I told her as soon as she get closer but she ignored me and just passes by. "I'll be totally fine here..." I added.

"Shut up, Damaris. I won't leave you here alone." Mom said firmly, not even throwing a glance on me. I still come after her, heading to the elevator. Her walk are getting faster.

"But mom—"

"No buts, Damaris." she declared, like I'm such a nuisance. Well, I know I am.

"At least don't overwork your body..." I pleaded wearily, but she didn't stop. I know she won't. "Mom, can you just listen to me?" I urged.

Our distance between the elevators are getting closer. I want to stop her before we could enter. "Mom! You will be sick too if you overworked yourself!" I tried to raise my voice a bit hoping it will convince her. But as expected, she was such a hard-headed like me.

"No, Damaris." Mom said, still walking.

"I can be with Rachel instead—"

All of a sudden, a brief smooth hand lay upon mine that made me halt in immediate.