The third trial

Dedicated to Winona Laura Horowitz

Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz

.

.

LYDIA DEETZ AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE

Chatper 9: The third trial

The next morning, Harry told Hermione and his friends Nekoten about what he saw in the pensieve (he didn't mention the names of Ron's brothers and Neville). Everyone petrified in the place, they were too many names, and there would be a lot to cover. In the end, they decided that Hermione and Harry should be accompanied at all times.

Harry remembered that the same thing happened to him last year and how that situation bothered him, but now he would appreciate all the company possible (he was becoming paranoid, and finally he could understand the "permanent alert!" of mad eye).

Hermione was scared but Lydia reassured her by saying that they and Neville would always accompany her, and Harry had a cold sweat run down his back.

.

.

The champions were taken one day to the entrance of what appeared to be a maze. There Bagman told them that the third trial consisted of reaching the center of this one and taking the cup. The labyrinth originally had to be in the quidditch field, but as this became a lake, they decided to put the labyrinth somewhere else.

"Your friend Hagrid is one of the people in charge of putting creatures in the labyrinth! So you don't have to worry," Bagman said with a smile. The continental champions looked bored to death, but Hermione, Harry and Cedric exchanged nervous looks, while Lydia was thrilled.

After Harry refused Bagman's suspicious offer of help, he and his friends headed for the castle.

"Dad, Mom, forgive me for dying before you do," said Cedric with an ultratomb face.

"Dad, Mom, we'll soon find ourselves," said Harry with a broken face.

"Dad, Mom, what a short life I've had," said Hermione about to cry.

"Dad, Mom, I can't believe it!" Lydia said happily.

.

.

On the morning of the third trial Hermione received the newspaper and accidentally spat his juice on Ron's face, in which it recounted Harry's attack in the divination class and painted him as a madman. Lydia and Percy also approached him and everyone told him that what the newspaper said was not true, although Harry acknowledged to himself that this time the reporter was somewhat right (he was already a bit paranoid and always turned to see if anyone was following him in school). Hermione suddenly whispered something into Lydia's ears and she did the same with Percy.

"Understood," Percy said with a military salute and rushed out to the library. Harry asked what was going on, but the girls said it would be a surprise.

Already at the entrance of the labyrinth, they were told that the girls would go last because they did not complete the second trial. Upon entering, they saw with dread that the labyrinth was saturated with monsters, and there were several puzzles to decipher and obstacles to overcome.

"It's like playing a role-playing game!" The boys from Muggle families thought.

"Damned Hagrid," said Cedric, when Fluffy, the three-headed dog almost ripped Cedric head off.

"Damned Hagrid," said Harry, when the giants spiders almost kill him.

"Damn Hagrid," said Hermione, when some Skrewts almost smashed her.

"Thank you Hagrid," said Lydia, after beating Norberto, the dragon that by the way was already well grown.

Lydia met a terrified Fleur and offered her help, the French accepted and held hands continued the trial.

Hermione met Krum and the same thing happened.

After what seemed like hours and almost lost their lives in the process, they all came to the center of the labyrinth at the same time.

"Guys, it's good that everyone is safe..." said Lydia and Hermione, when the other champions pointed their wands at each other and this made the girls do it too.

"What are you doing, lower your wands!" A surprised Lydia said to them.

Everyone lowered their wands in sorrow.

"Do you know who got here first?" Hermione asked. Again everyone raised their wands again (girls did it by reflex)

"Let them down!" Hermione reprimanded them, and they lowered their wands again with nervous smiles.

"We are all friends, there is no need to do this for the cup," said Lydia firmly. Again, everyone lifted their wands. Hermione roared and Lydia stared at them with frowned eyebrows.

After repeating the absurd situation a few more times, Lydia put her wand away.

"If we're going to play as children, let's learn to share" by saying this, she took the arms of others and made them come down.

"What do you propose?" Krum muttered.

"Well, the tournament is supposed to strengthen the bonds of trust between magic schools, so I propose... we all touch the cup at the same time," said Hermione.

They all looked hard at each other (and raised their wands)

"You know I've had enough!" Hermione shouted, "Either you accept this or I swear Lydia and I will kick your ass, and you know we can do it."

Everyone finally put their wands away and headed for the cup. When they touched her, they understood that this was a portkey.

TO BE CONTINUE...