Christmas Cookies

[A/N]: I haven't worked on a lot of these upcoming chapters since 2018, so bear with me. I tried to rewrite all of them to make them make sense and fit my new writing style. :)

"Heather? I'm home!" You called out from the front door as you closed it. Heather rounded the corner from the kitchen and smiled brightly. "[Y/N], hey! How was work?" You locked the door behind you and stepped forwards, bringing Heather into an embrace. "Tiring and boring like usual. How was your day?" Heather shrugged and rubbed your back before moving back from the hug. "Boring without you. I wish you took the day off. It's Christmas Eve for god's sake." You smiled nervously. "Yeah, I know. But you know how my boss is. I couldn't have gotten today off if I tried." Heather sighed and played with the end of her shirt. "Yeah, I get it. That's kinda why I hate your boss."

You chuckled lightly. "Don't worry. I hate her too." Heather smiled softly, grabbing your hands. "So, you wanna spend some time together, or do you wanna just head to bed and sleep?" "Well, did you have something in mind?" Heather's face seemed to brighten immediately as she nodded. "Alright, what do you wanna do?" She pulled you into the kitchen to reveal ingredients for sugar cookies. "I figured we could bake together to kill some time. Plus, whatever we have left over, we can use tomorrow for Christmas." You smiled at the idea and nodded. "Alright, sure."

•   •   •

"Heather, the cookies are on fire! Put 'em out, put 'em out!" Heather quickly took the flaming pan out from the oven and placed them on the counter before grabbing the fire extinguisher and putting out the flames. Once the fire was gone, you and Heather let out sighs of relief. You laughed softly after a moment and turned to her. "Well, that was swell." She rolled her eyes, but couldn't bite back her smirk. "Yeah yeah. It was my fault. I forgot to set the timer." Upon seeing how upset she looked after realizing the cookies weren't going to be salvaged, you wrapped your arm around her shoulders and offered a kind smile. "Ah, don't beat yourself up about it. We can make another batch. We've still got plenty of time."

She smiled weakly and nodded. "Okay, yeah. But you're in charge of the timer this time." You stepped to the side and gave her a small salute. "No problem." She sighed and got out the ingredients again, pulling out a clean bowl and a new whisk. As she began mixing ingredients, a small amount of flour flew up and stained the corner of her lips. You tapped her shoulder, making her turn to you in confusion. "You've got a little something right there," you explained as you wiped it away. Heather blushed softly and she swallowed the lump in her throat. "Th-Thank you." Your eyebrows raised.

"Did the stoic, cold-hearted Heather Chandler just stutter?" Her blush worsened and she looked back down at her work. "Shut up! I'm trying to get the ingredients put together!" You chuckled and nodded, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Right, right. Well, I'm gonna get a clean pan from the pantry. Are there any other ingredients you need?" She shook her head, grateful that the subject had changed. "No, I think I've got everything." You nodded and grabbed a pan from the pantry, spraying it and placing a sheet of foil over it so the cookies wouldn't stick. (I have no idea how to bake, please bear with me--)

•   •   •

"The batter's ready." Heather began shaping the cookies and placing them on the pan as you watched. Once they were in the oven, you set a timer on your phone.

•   •   •

"My timer went off. Time to get the cookies out." Heather nodded and trailed behind you into the kitchen, grabbing her oven mitts and opening the oven. She pulled the tray out and placed it on the counter. "They turned out great," you chirped from behind her. She smiled. "Physically anyway. We don't know if they taste good or not." You shrugged. "I'm sure they taste lovely. You made them after all." She shoved you playfully, scoffing in between chuckles. "Whatever. Let's give them time to cool off and we'll see."

•   •   •

"Heather, these cookies are amazing!" Heather beamed brightly from the kitchen table before standing. "Thanks. I'm sure the other batch would've been better." You smiled and shrugged. "We'll never know, but that's alright. These are perfect the way they are. Just like you." Heather rolled her eyes. "Oh my god, [Y/N], don't say something so cliché." You smirked at her and took another bite out of your cookie. "Anyway, your cookies taste incredible. Thank you for making them." She nodded and grabbed one for herself, taking a bite out of it. "I could've used a little more flour." You sighed. "Heather, they're fine. Really. Don't be so hard on yourself. They're just cookies."

She nodded and took another bite. You did the same. Once you both ate a few more cookies, you both sat down on the sofa in the living room and cuddled up against each other. "Sorry I couldn't take today off. The good news is, I don't have to go in for work tomorrow." Heather smiled and nodded. "That's good." You gave her a quick peck on the cheek. "I love you, Heather." "I know." You scoffed playfully and nudged her. She giggled. "I love you too, [Y/N]."