Poison [Part One]

(Warning: This chapter is definitely going to be more morbid than the previous ones. This chapter takes place after J.D. and Veronica have poisoned Chandler. She didn't die instantly in this version, so she was hospitalized.)

[Y/N]'s P.O.V.

"Is this [Y/N] [L/N]?" "U-Uh...yes, why?" "This is the office at Westerburg Medical Center. Heather Chandler has been hospitalized after being poisoned by some sort of cleaning product. She requested that you come in immediately." I felt my stomach drop as the words processed through my brain. I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't form a sentence. After a long, excruciating moment of silence, I suppose the doctor realized I was taken aback. He spoke instead. "We're trying everything possible to get her to a good spot to recover, but it's not looking bright. We've already pumped her stomach twice, but nothing has really improved. She wants you to come in as soon as possible to calm her." I still couldn't speak. I simply swallowed and took in a shaky breath. "Please come in as soon as you can. She's in room thirty-seven on floor two." With that, the doctor hung up. I dropped my arm down to my side and watched with a dazed glare as my phone plummeted to the floor. This can't be happening...Heather has to be alright...she has to be!! I need to get up there now! I screamed at my body to move, but my feet were glued to the floor. Why can't I move?! Come on! I need to get there for her! All I could manage to do was lift my arm again to run my hand through my hair. I was completely frozen in shock.
Come on!! Please! Just move! Finally, my legs followed my brain and began walking. I quickly grabbed my keys from the kitchen counter and walked out to my car, struggling to put the key into ignition as my hand shook violently. When I finally succeeded, I quickly started the car and shifted into reverse, instantly pulling out into the street without checking for oncoming traffic. Too concerned for what could happen, I ignored the speed limit and sped off to the hospital.

     When I finally pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, I instantly stepped out after killing the engine. I slammed my door shut and locked the car as I began walking slowly to the entrance. As I grew closer, my walk slowly shifted into a speed-walk, then a light jog, until I was full on sprinting. I finally made it to the entrance and practically slammed into the door. I ran up to the front desk. "Where is the nearest elevator?!" I asked in a panic. The receptionist, who was physically startled by my sudden burst into the room, blinked as she tried to process my sudden question. "U-Uh—down that hall on the right." I quickly thanked her and ran in the direction she pointed, finding the elevator to my relief. I rushed into the small enclosed space, which just opened, and pressed the button that would lead me to floor two. As the doors slowly shut and the elevator began to lift, I tapped my foot impatiently. Once it finally halted and the doors opened, I bolted out and ran to the right, where rooms thirty through forty were located. I ran down one of the halls, frantically searching for thirty-seven. When I finally found it, I stopped in front of the door and took a deep inhale to calm myself. I slowly twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open, revealing the room behind it. I stepped in, shut the door, then turned around. My heart shattered as I processed the scene before me.
Heather was lying on the bed, wires and tubes connected to her body in more ways than I could imagine. An oxygen mask covered the lower part of her face, and an IV was placed in her left arm. That's normal, but...what's everything else for?? I felt my breath hitch in my throat as I carefully walked over to the side of her bed, sitting myself down on the chair closest to her. God...could I have prevented this? I sighed heavily and looked down at the floor. What happened? Was...was it an attempt at suicide? Why would she do that? Am I not doing enough to keep her happy? Ugh...god, I have so many questions...might have to wait until she recovers a bit...if she ever does... "[Y/N]...you're here..." A deep voice spoke suddenly, startling me out of my trance. "You are [Y/N], correct?" I looked up and found a doctor standing in the doorway. "U-Uh...yes." "Good. I'm sure Heather will be relieved to see you once she wakes up. She's been begging to see you since she first came in." I smiled weakly and nodded, not wanting to speak. Finally calmed down after running for a while, I looked around and realized... "Hey...where are her parents?" He looked at me with a defeated glare. "Well...her mother is currently on a business trip on the opposite side of the country, and we couldn't reach her father. That may be one reason she wanted to see you so badly." I nodded and felt my gaze soften as I gazed back over at Heather. Poor thing...I'm glad I could get here... "When will she wake up?" I asked, not taking my eyes off of Heather's unconscious body. "In an hour or so. She only fell asleep a few minutes ago, but she's been having a hard time staying asleep. We aren't sure why though." I nodded again. "Alright. Thank you." The doctor nodded and left, leaving me alone with my girlfriend. I scooted further up in the chair and gently grabbed her hand, placing a soft kiss to her knuckles before crossing my arms and resting my head against them, slowly shutting my eyes.

Heather's P.O.V.

I want to die already...this is the second time they've pumped my stomach, and it's clearly not doing anything. Why bother? All it's doing is hurting my stomach and my throat. Ugh...I just want to fall asleep already. The doctors quickly brought me back to my room after pumping my stomach and hooked me up to...whatever all of this was. I grunted as the IV was stuck back into my arm. The main doctor stepped beside the bed and wrote something down. "Heather, we called both of your parents." God. Why? The last thing I want to do is see them. "Your mother can't make it, and we were unable to reach your father. We're very sorry. Is there anyone else you want to see?" [Y/N]... I nodded my head quickly and tried to sit up, but the pain in my stomach sent a wave of pain and strain through my body, which caused me to fall back down onto my back. "Alright. We'll need their name and number." I quickly gave him the information and watched as he stepped out to make the call. I sighed. [Y/N]...all I want to do is see her...I need to see her...she's the only one that'll keep me sane...please...just let me see her... I swallowed as the doctor stepped back in after a moment. He smiled at me weakly and walked over. "[Y/N] is headed here now." I smiled pathetically and nodded. "Th-Thank you," I mumbled, my voice scratchy and hoarse. He nodded back and reached over to something. I didn't bother to move my head to see. He brought it up to my face and strapped it over my head. Damnit...not this stupid thing again... It was the oxygen mask. I hated it. It was so uncomfortable to have on my face. I couldn't say anything though, so I simply did my best to ignore it. "Alright. She should be here any moment. Just sit tight until then." I nodded and watched as he walked out of the room. I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to wait patiently for the throbbing pain to subside.
Before I realized it, I had fallen asleep.

     What...? What the hell? Something soft touched my hand just now...I slowly opened my eyes, inhaling sharply at the sudden bright light that greeted my eyes. I blinked for a moment as my vision finally adjusted. I sighed and looked over to my side, my eyes widening a fraction as I instantly recognized the sleeping form beside me. [Y/N]... I smiled warmly and squeezed her hand as tears began to spill from my eyes. I sniffled. [Y/N]'s head suddenly perked up at the sound. I watched as she quickly looked around before her gaze finally landed on me. Her gaze softened as a warm smile formed on her face. "Heather...you're awake..." she murmured softly, sitting up. "How're you feeling?" she asked, running her thumb up and down against my hand in a soothing motion. I shrugged weakly, earning a small chuckle. "Sorry I couldn't get here sooner...I was just so surprised that it took me a while to finally move again..." she explained, looking away ashamed. I squeezed her hand for reassurance. "It's fine...I'm just glad you made it," I managed to squeak out. "Anything for you." I smiled again and sighed. She quickly leaned forward and wiped away my tears, which I didn't even realize were still there. "Well...I'll stay here as long as possible...in fact...let me go ask the doctor if I can stay overnight, okay?" I nodded, but frowned as she left the room. I sighed and looked around the room to kill time while I waited for her to come back. Finally, after a few minutes, she walked back in, a smile evident on her face right away. "Alright. Good news, and bad news." She sat back down beside the bed and sighed. "Which one do you want first?" I shrugged. "Good news, I guess." "Alright. Good news is, I'm allowed to stay as long as you want me to. Bad news is, I'll have to leave early tomorrow morning for work. I'll ask my boss to take off at least a week so I can stay here longer with you." I smiled and felt myself internally grow relaxed. "Thank god. Do you know how boring it would be if you were gone all day?"
She chuckled and nodded. "Yeah. But I'm not sure what he'll say." "I'll do something if he doesn't let you take off." She giggled again. God, I love that sound... "And what do you plan to do when you're practically strapped down to this bed?" "I'll rip this IV out of my arm if it means you can be here everyday until I can leave this damn place." She smiled and kissed my forehead since my nose and lips were covered. "Just don't kill the guy. I still need my paychecks."