Chapter Sixteen: A Heavy Price

"Of course we do. That's just fabulous."

"Look, I've seen some messed up stuff in my life. Any of you ever try to herd brownies or set a shifter's leg? Didn't think so. Trust me, it's ugly. But I've seen nothing as bad as you lot." Audra's words were laced with venom, and she seemed to gather inches to her height with every word she spit out. "And you, sorcerer! You should be ashamed of yourself. You call yourself a guardian of this group, and yet you spend more time shoving your tongue down your charge's throat than educating her on the world she's a part of!"

Declan blanched and said nothing to defend himself. The shifting of his feet and the slump of his shoulders proclaimed guilt where his mouth was silent. Lux had wondered when his conscience would catch up with his desire, but she refused to allow this stranger to be the reason he pushed her away.

Feeling the energy she'd drawn from nature earlier still sweeping through her, she fed it with anger, darkening its pure light. The wind picked up around them, the branches in the trees quivering as the gusts tore the leaves away. The ache in her chest, her now familiar companion, thrummed in time with her rage. A small voice whispered that this wild creature, controlled by emotion, wasn't her. That her magic was stripping away her essence.

Audra watched from the porch with a bemused expression, but around her swirled the scent of a summer breeze and Lux knew the witch was harnessing the element most familiar to her. The element that was answering Lux's call now.

"This isn't a fight you'll win," the redhead warned, amusement fading as lightning split the blue canopy above and thunder crackled in the distance.

"I don't think you're so certain," Lux hissed, curling her toes in the soft ground, borrowing its strength as the pain inside of her grew. A stranger's voice filled Lux's mind. 'The air witch's blood will soak into the soil; her body will feed the worms. Back to nature she'll return, feeding strength to the proper witches. Like me.'

"Enough," Declan commanded, reaching out and taking Lux by the hand. That odd spark they shared ignited, and the pain disappeared in an instant. The river of magic drowning her quieted and became a tranquil pool, sweet and wonderful.

Gasping, she squeezed his hand tighter, making certain he knew she needed him to touch her. To stay connected.

"Audra..."

"It's fine," the girl shrugged. "You were in the Sway. It happens to Bloodborn witches. Our human halves crave that power, demonizes it. Without the angelic half to soothe it, you'll eventually succumb to it it."

"But they fight it?" Lux asked.

"For a while, yes. But I've never seen anyone come out of it so quickly. But I've also never seen a witch with no training call forth lightning. Took me an entire year to do that. Sure, she's not an air witch?"

Declan shook his head, draping his arm around Lux. "I'm not certain of anything where she's concerned." He tried to infuse laughter into his words. But it was brittle. "I think the magic she uses has to do with the witch she's around."

Audra mulled over his explanation. "Hmm, most spirit witches find a measure of strength in all elements. Spirit ties us all together, but I've only ever heard of an Opal witch doing anything remotely similar to what you're suggesting. You sure that's not her stone."

"I've tried the Opal. There's nothing there," Lux answered. She could speak for herself.

"Hmm, well, I do like a mystery. Now, the other girls are late."

"Always," Declan grumbled.

"Lux, can you call them? Find out when we can expect them? I'll try to track down Hanish. He's a good sort to have for sparring practice."