Chapter Twenty-Six: A Connection

Lux

Lux watched as the girls sat in the field, fingers resting on the tops of their thighs. Eyes closed, jaws tight, and bodies tense, they looked far older than their seventeen years. Audra led the Circle, her wrist wrapped in the purple glow of her channeling stone. One by one, the witches' stones activated, lights of blue, red, and green winking into existence. Their voices rose in angelic verse, the song ancient and primal, drawing their individual magic to the center, trying to merge it into one force. If they succeeded, they would have access to the strength of every member in the Circle.

And repeatedly, they failed. Audra let them believe it was because of inexperience, but Lux could see when the air witch's attention flitted over to where she rested beneath the Magnolia tree. This spell required a spirit witch.

The magic within Lux fluttered in response, yearning to join, but she pushed it down. Every flare caused her throat to burn as her stomach churned. She'd already tossed her breakfast behind the bushes; she had nothing else to lose. Nothing but her pride and independence.

From inside the house, raised voices bounced through the rooms as Memaw and Mama argued. Gideon stayed quiet, though he'd step out on the porch from time to time. He did not try to hide his perusal of Lux, and his body language broadcast his concern in high definition. But he didn't approach, and for that, she was grateful.

Travis and Hanish had disappeared over an hour ago, taking to the wooded area around the estate to collect fresh herb samples for potions and infusions. Memaw had unearthed the family's hidden stash of tools for the Craft, but some of it needed to be replaced. That would be for another day. Lughnasadh, August 1st, was only three weeks away. For now, they had to master the magic necessary to complete the Rite.

Plucking a blade of grass, she twirled it between her fingers while she leaned back and peered through the canopy of the Magnolia tree. She could see why Daphne loved this place. The shade kept the soil cool, and the waxy leaves were musical in the floral soaked breeze. Shadows, dappled by sunlight, danced with the motion of the swaying branches, and the soft chirping of birds and insects created the melody.

To greet the morning here, feet bare upon the earth and arms stretched towards the heavens, would be pure bliss. A witch was meant to be one with nature. Hanish said they were all children of the earth, and though her father was from the heavens, she'd never felt more truth in a statement before.

The Circle chanted again, and Lux used the tree trunk to pull herself into a standing position. Muscles protested, but she ignored them, focusing on drawing in even breaths. Sitting here, watching others work to save the world, didn't sit well with her, but she hadn't figured out how she was going to get back to her room, unnoticed and unaided.

Her first two steps were wobbly, but her confidence grew as she headed to the house, surprising herself when she turned in the guesthouse's direction. Declan had sent word that he wouldn't be taking part in training until later in the afternoon. What were the chances he was avoiding her after their conversation last night?

After reading more of Leora's diary, she was more and more certain something had transpired between the two, and she still didn't know what event her great-aunt was so worked up about. That there was a traitor in the Circles was disconcerting, but that happened over a hundred years ago. But the part of her that always Knew, told her to keep reading, keep searching. She would discover something important.

"Declan," she called out, leaning against the porch railing. To the casual observer, she was resting while she waited for someone. Declan was not a casual observer.

"Lux, are you okay?" he demanded, rushing to her and sliding his arms around her waist. Leading her up the steps, he settled her in a wicker chair.