CHAPTER 4 * Expectations *

XERIS' POV

I stood in the observation room located above the pods that contained each of the earth females. I watched as the last of the female Earthians brought in by scouting team A were loaded into their individual pods. In total, there were 20 000 000 females specially picked from earth. Each of them would go a long way in ensuring our future.

To think that we had to resort to this; to find our answer with these primitive beings.

"How much longer until the last of them has been placed into their pods?" I asked Pragu, the woman in charge of the storage bay.

"We have 150 minutes left and then all the earth females shall have successfully been loaded into their pods."

She talks as if they are animals.

Understandable.

"When can we set course for Thanzor?" I asked again, knowing that Santhi would answer.

The heads of each department had gathered together when scouting team A docked with the last of the Earthians. Each were reporting the progress of things to me. I needed to make sure everything went according to schedule. I would not allow us to fall behind. This mission had to be a success.

"We can take off ten minutes after the last of the earth females has been placed in their pods. This should be sufficient time for our crew members to ready themselves for take-off," he quickly answered.

"Make it five."

"Yes, Sire."

I was anxious to leave this place.

I turned away from the display glass and looked at the leaders in the room.

"Bulba, I believe you have informed your underlings on the importance of monitoring the earth females' health? It is imperative that they are healthy and remain that way. Do you understand?"

"Yes, your highness, I understand. They have been sufficiently prepared," she answered curtly.

I admired how out of the leaders in this room, she did not try to get on my good side. She was concise and straightforward. She was a no nonsense person who, truthfully, sometimes instilled fear in me.

She reminded me of mother.

I looked at Purit. There was no need to ask if he adequately prepared the men for their roles. I personally knew that each of the men were more than prepared to take on this challenge, myself included. Purit was a man who always delivered above and beyond what was asked of him. He was fiercely loyal and was a good friend. He was the sole reason I had managed to stay sane in all the chaos and happenings of this mission.

I turned back around and watched as the females were loaded into their pods. I hadn't noticed that everyone had left or realised how long I had been standing there until Jarvis spoke, "Sire, we have fifteen minutes till take off. We should be heading to command."

He stood behind me, to my left. I turned my face slightly towards him as my eyes were still focussed on the proceedings below.

In fifteen minutes we will be heading for Thanzor.

In fifteen minutes we will be going home.

"Have you spoken to Bulba about what will be required once we take off?"

"Yes Sire."

I turned around and headed for command.

***

I sat in my chair. It was behind the glass barrier that separated Santhi and I from the rest of Command. Santhi sat in his chair next to me on my right. This would be the last time I sat in this chair. Soon Santhi would be the one seating here and I would be tending to my other duties. We were zooming past Saturn when I spoke.