CHAPTER 23 * Not holding back *

VICTORIA'S POV

"You know what, never mind." I was done trying to make this work. I put down the mat and walked out of the training room.

I entered the bathroom and took off my training attire then proceeded to sit in the cleansing pool. I already felt the soreness from my first martial arts lesson. It was fun, if you take away all the pain I endured after landing on the ground so many times. Up until he shut me off, again.

As I sat in there, head leaning back against the lip of the pool, I thought of all the times I had tried to get him to talk about himself, all the times I had been looking for an opening to talk about myself. To finally let out what I had bottled up. But he kept shutting me down. After coming on this spacecraft, I had realised that I wanted at least one person to know why I let myself go. Why I was the way that I was. I wanted to lay myself bare to him and that was not an easy decision to make. I recognised in him a kindred spirit. I knew he was just as lonely as I was. Why he would rather stay that way, God only knows.

I guess he probably didn't want to stay lonely. I think I just wasn't good enough for him to share his plagues with. I let out a little laugh. Even when it was just us two, he would rather keep suffering alone. I laughed again. I must truly be worthless.

"Why was I even born?" I asked no one in particular. "Will no one ever accept me as I am?" I felt the tears slip down the sides of my face and into my hair. "Does everyone around me have to be forced to be with me?" my voice echoed a little.

I decided to leave and went into the closet. I changed into my day clothes, which without me noticing, changed in size to fit me perfectly. Once clothed I walked to the mirror and looked at my reflection. My skin was clear, free of pimples and blemishes. I had lost all the weight I had put on, and then some. I looked better than I had ever looked in my entire life. And yet, having accomplished this, I didn't' feel the satisfaction I thought I would.

"What's the point?" I asked my reflection.

I walked out of the closet and went to have lunch.

He doesn't even want to eat with me now?

I thought as I looked at the apartment door. Once I was done I headed for the greenery. I walked around a bit, thinking about what to do.

Do I wait for him and carry on as we have, or be less of a burden and just get myself lost? But that would be a burden too if he has to look for me. Will he look for me? It's not like I mean anything to him.

The tears were still falling down my face and I angrily wiped them away. "I'm going to stop being a bother and not pry into his personal life. I won't get in his way."

I went to where we left off the previous day and that's when he showed up. From that moment, I stopped trying to get to know him. I stopped answering back sarcastically. I only spoke to him in the greenery and training room, and only when necessary. He seemed happy with my new attitude. Well, he didn't really show emotion. He just didn't ask why I was suddenly subdued. This went on for weeks. For weeks, he didn't try to converse with me. So, I figured he was happy with how things were now.

I walked into the training room and there he was, waiting for me, like he normally did. My heart beat a little faster. His attractiveness still caught me off guard when I wasn't paying attention. I schooled my features into the poker face I had been developing ever since I gave up trying with him.

"Today, you're going to try and take me down. Don't hold back. Don't be afraid of hurting me. Begin." He instructed.

So, I did just that. I went at him with everything in me as soon as he was done talking. His eyes showed that he didn't expect that. Good.