2. Unexpected Guest

Cee was allowed to say goodbye to Caterina.

Leonardo Fiero and his trusted group of advisors (his wife, son, brother, and sister-in-law) had debated long and hard over who to send: they'd made the right decision. Cee would go in her sister's place.

But at least she was allowed to say goodbye.

Cee swallowed nervously, standing in the doorway of her sister's room; it had been redecorated. Everything was yellow - Caterina's favourite colour. Even Caterina didn't look the same: Leo had sent her photos every so often once she had left the family but it wasn't the same as seeing her. 

Photos couldn't capture how Caterina couldn't sit still for five minutes, or how when she walked into a room, even her father's employees seemed to smile more. The little Fiero was in her pyjamas, kneeling on the floor by her toys: it was late. 

Cee tapped on the door, watching Caterina look up from her doll set, her chubby face splitting into a beam. "Have you come to play?" she asked excitedly, picking up the nearest teddy and hugging it so tightly it nearly burst. "We're playing tea party, and Leo never wants to play properly."

"I'm sorry, Caterina," Cee told her, her heart breaking silently. The first time she'd seen her baby sister in years, and she couldn't even play with her. "I've got to go soon, but I wanted to see you really quick."

The little girl shrugged, watching as Cee wandered in, sitting cross-legged on the carpet about a foot away. "You can call me Cat," she said seriously, looking at her older sister with a dazed sort of adoration. "Only my friends call me that."

"Cat, then," Cee smiled, trying to commit her face to memory. "I came to say goodbye."

"Where are you going?" the little girl asked curiously, hugging her teddy bear. Cee couldn't help noticing it was the same teddy bear that she'd had as a kid; creatively known as Mr Bob.

"Who's that?" she asked, deflecting the question, pointing at her old teddy. "What's your teddy's name?"

"This is Teddy, he's my favourite," Cat announced, immediately holding him out to her to inspect. He was more threadbare than she remembered, more grey than blue now. "Do you like him?" 

Cee took the outstretched bear carefully, noticing that his fur had the soft feel of being brushed too much over the years. "I love him," she replied truthfully, thinking quickly. "I used to have a bear just like him."

"Really?"

"Yes, really." Cee turned him over, her fingers catching the label, marked with a small C: for Camilla. "Bears like this are very special - do you know why?" 

Cat accepted the teddy back, cradling him gently in her arms, her eyes wide. "Why?"

"They're magic," Cee told her, watching her tiny face light up for a second. "These bears keep nightmares away, and will always keep you safe."

"Wow," Caterina breathed, staring down at her blue, worn teddy bear. 

"He'll take care of you while I'm away," Cee murmured softly, her heart aching slightly. "Be a good girl, okay?"

"Do you want him?" Cee blinked, looking at her younger sister in shock. For a five year old, Caterina certainly knew how to look serious.

"I thought he was your favourite."

"He is," Caterina shrugged, but she looked up at her sister in complete adoration. "But you can have him." Cee shook her head slowly, hearing footsteps down the corridor. Time to go.