38. Runaway

8.45.

It was time.

Cee looked at the clock for a second longer, hoping it was wrong so that she could spend more time with Niccolò. She loved spending time with him - even in the small lulls in conversation where they both quietly enjoyed each other's company, and the sound of piano keys tinkling from across the dining area.

But she couldn't delay any longer. If Stefano and his employers thought she'd bailed, Flo and Angela could die. She had to leave - and she had to leave now.

"Excuse me," she murmured to Niccolò, setting aside her napkin carefully - it was probably worth more than her entire wardrobe combined, knowing Niccolò's expensive taste in restaurants. "I'm going to find a bathroom."

"Allow me," he replied immediately, finding any excuse to keep his eye on her at all times; he made a move to stand up, but Cee crossed her arms tightly, giving him a warning look.

"I don't need a babysitter," she muttered defensively. "Sit back down." For once, Niccolò followed someone else's order without a fuss, but his eyes were narrowed as he sat down.

"Fine," he shot back. "Kiss me." Cee felt her cheeks light up with pink; she had to turn away at his mocking expression - he knew exactly how to make her squirm.

"That's not a logical way of proving I can find a bathroom safely," she blurted out, taking an uncertain step away from him; he had that predatory look in his eye, the one which made her want to run straight into his arms - but she couldn't. Not now.

"No," he agreed, leaning back deliberately, relishing the torn expression on her face. "It's a deal: I'll let you go, if you kiss me." His own face was totally impassive, not joking in the slightest, observing her critically to calculate her next move; she blushed.

"This is not a business deal," she protested weakly, but she moved forward the tiniest bit; Niccolò had clearly seen something he liked, because his eyes were glinting - just like they did when a negotiation had gone exactly to plan. Cee realised pretty quickly that he wasn't going to give in. Sighing, she leant forward, aiming for his cheek - but she should have known Niccolò wouldn't let her get off that easily.

Just as she closed her eyes, Niccolò turned his head, catching her off guard so that her lips were on his; he waited patiently for her to get over the shock before she tilted her head slightly to the side, kissing him softly. He'd kissed far too many women in the past - most of them kissed him with lust and greed, wanting more, but Camilla was different. Her touch was feather-light, her movements uncertain, gentle; she kissed him like he was her saviour.

He let her explore the kiss - not pushing or taking like he usually would, but letting her taste him the way she wanted to; when she pulled away, it took every inch of his self-control to let her be, instead of pulling her down into his lap and trapping her there for hours.

When Cee finally opened her eyes, she was breathing rapidly, her heart fluttering in her chest, her cheeks flushed; Niccolò, on the other hand, looked completely unruffled, and almost amused at her state.

"You can go," he allowed, a satisfied glint in his cold eyes. Cee tried to hide her blush, scurrying away from him as though she could run away from her embarrassment. She found the bathroom easily enough, staring into the mirror at her flushed cheeks and her lips - slightly more pink than usual?

For a second, she allowed herself to imagine what it would be like to continue her date with the Romano Don - to kiss him every evening after he came home, to wake up in his bed each morning - but her fantasy was short lived. She had to leave - and she had to leave now.