• ✧- chapter five

JEREMIAH

THE MIDNIGHT AIR STRUCK me as I trekked to the parking spot my automobile resided. The 9mm that was tucked within my slacks only added to the massive frosty sensation that I wasn't really fond of. I hated the cold but business is business and that's exactly what I had to handle. I reached my black vehicle and I quickly got inside readying myself for the events that were bound to occur in a matter of time. There was no need to have second thoughts all I had to offer was for the greater good. When it came to my kids there was no telling of what I was capable of and there was no doubting either. Even though Jabari and I weren't on the best of terms at the moment that didn't take away my title of being his rightful father meaning that I had to work behind the scenes as I contributed to the making of the future king. The idea of him striding across the court was an idea that couldn't be ceased and I would have to be the one to allow that to happen by any means necessary. This was Bari's dream. It was mine as well once upon a time and I always wished I had a father figure like myself back in the days that would've helped me carry out that idea. But praise be to God-my own son shall live the dream I myself couldn't fulfill.

My fingers traced to the glove compartment which I instantly opened only to reveal the photo of my beloved queen. My Denise. My sunshine after the rain. Who would've thought all I'll ever receive nowadays is the rain that seemed to never stop flowing. I kissed the old dated photo once more before placing it back inside the compartment. I knew for a fact that she wouldn't be so excited about the things I have planned but she knew who I was when she was alive. She knew me more than I knew myself. She knew my moves and she could've practically told me where I left my gun without me even telling her. I was no where near predictable but she- she knew me from top to bottom. It amazed me. She amazed me. From how she took care of Coby and Bari to how she took of me as well. We were royalty in her eyes.

And it's time that people started treating us as such.

Wiping the tears that threatened to fall as I started the car which began the journey that could simply alter the days to come. I pulled out of the parking spot following the road to my destination-driving rather quickly seeing that I hadn't had all the time in the world. I had to accomplish this mission with the quickness and I didn't want to be distracted by my thoughts once more. In a matter of time I arrived. A place I've never stepped foot in but that would be placed to an end after tonight. I hopped out of my car after retrieving my keys just to shut the door rather quietly. I had to move quickly and quietly and that's exactly what I did as I trekked to the entrance of the silent building. Fortunately on my behalf the doors were unlocked allowing me to enter the unoccupied halls that reeked of lemon scented cleaning supplies which allowed me to acknowledge the fact that the janitor was most likely still lurking the halls. But he wasn't who I had my target set out on-oh no. I was definitely more engrossed in the whereabouts of someone who had their minds wrapped around the sport of basketball 24/7 and I knew just where to find that someone. My feet lightly tattered against the tiled halls of the school which neither of my children attended. In just a matter of seconds I found just exactly where I was headed and I went straight in only to reveal the coach of the opposing team working tirelessly on the basketball team plays. He acknowledged my presence and I could only chuckle at how his confidence slightly shattered as his pale face turned red.

"M-may I help you sir?" He stammered as he placed the handbook down and eyed me up down-noticing my all black apparel which my dark trench coat and turtleneck contributed to. I eyed the beige colored room which was filled of the photos of previous won championships and the many trophies that decorated the room- it was a sight to see. A sight I've never seen in my son's own school.