17-Doing More Than Tutoring

Chapter 17: Doing More Than Tutoring

He turns around and sees me before I have the chance to close his door, well shit. "I'm so sorry," I say, looking away from him, my cheeks a deep shade of crimson.

"That's quite alright," I hear him chuckle, "no harm done." I hear some scuffling but I don't know if it's safe to look so I keep my head turned away. "You can look now," Zack says, chuckling to himself. I turn to him but I can't utter a word, this situation is too damn embarrassing. I just want to crawl in a hole and die, is that too much to ask?

"Cat got your tongue?" He jokes but I still can't reply. Every time I open my mouth no sound comes out. Oh god, I'm just making the situation ten times worse, you're such an idiot Ari. "Shy one I see," he says when I don't reply.

I shrug at him, not knowing what to say.

"Well I know I've already met you but I think it's best if I introduce myself again. We can start over and pretend this never happened, does that sound good?"

I nod.

"Well then, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I'm Zackary but you, my lady, can call me Zack," he says, bowing his head and sticking out his hand for me to shake.

I shake it, giggling at his antics and can't help laughing as I reply, "it's lovely to meet you Zack, I'm Aurora but you may me Ari." I curtesy after saying this to add to the effect. Now he laughs.

"Aurora as in the princess?" he questions. Here we go again. I nod. "But you look nothing like her."

I can't help but roll my eyes. "True, but my mum loves Disney so she decided to name me after one of her favourite characters even though I don't look like her," I answer.

"Right," he says, nodding. "Well, Ari, may I ask what it is you are doing in my house at this fine hour?" he asks, still upholding the charade.

"I'm here to tutor Wyatt but I forgot which door was his and wound up here," I tell him.

At this he laughs — of course my idiocy made someone laugh, just of course. "I see, well you were not far off, his room is the one next to mine." Damn, I was so close.

"Oh, right, thanks," I say, blushing a little.

"No problem. And Ari," he starts. I hum in response. "I hope you're not doing anything more than tutoring my brother."

I can't help my cheeks turning bright red at the accusation. "No, absolutely not. I'm not sure what kind of girl you think I am but I don't just randomly sleep with people I hardly know," I say, not actually offended — he probably just wanted a reaction out of me — but I pretend as though I am.

He seems taken aback by my fake attack. "No, I-I didn't mean-I didn't mean it like that," he stammers. I have to force myself to hold back a laugh and let him continue. "I was only joking, honest. I would never perceive you in such a way, or any woman for that matter — okay that last bit is a lie but I'm being honest when I say I didn't think of you like that, not in the slightest. You seem like a genuine girl who isn't only hanging out with my brother for popularity or sex. You don't–" I cut off his rambling with my laughter, I couldn't hold it back any longer.

He looked genuinely frightened of me for a moment and it was just hilarious. "Sorry," I start, "do continue," I smile mischievously whilst saying this.

He gapes at me, mouth opening and closing like a fish. "You-you were-you were joking?" He asks in an accusatory but flabbergasted manner.

"Yep," I say, popping the 'p'. "I knew you just wanted a reaction out of me. My brother does this to me from time to time so I've learnt not to get offended," I tell him. "I just thought it would be fun to try and work you up instead, low and behold it worked," I grin.