Chapter 7

“Sometimes people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them.”  - The Fault in our Stars, now in theatres!

Chapter Seven

The minute I locked Alibri’s door that night, I saw Chaise standing in front of his pickup.  He usually drove his Porsche to school, but I didn’t really have to ask what happened to that car.  He must have sent it to the garage.  I could only imagine the sharp dent my attacker left on it with his army knife.

We did not speak on the way home, like I didn’t know what to say to him.  When he stopped in front of my house, I thanked him and he smiled at me.  He didn’t leave until he was sure I was safely inside.

The next day, he sat with me and Denise at the cafeteria.  Denise looked at him as if he grew an extra head.

“Seriously leave so we can talk about you.”  Denise said blatantly.

I glared at her.

Chaise turned to me with a smug smile.  “So… you talk about me?”  He asked.

“No!”  I replied a little too defensively.  That was true.  Denise talks about him.  I am an unwilling participant in the conversation.

“Seriously?  Why aren’t you with the rest of your gang?”  Denise asked him.

He shrugged.  “Alice is my friend too, Miss…”  He trailed off.  “What’s your name again?”

Denise glared at him. 

“Anyway…” Chaise continued.  “I want to sit and have lunch with my friend.  Even if it included other less nice people within her circle.”

Denise was about to retort back with something but I stopped her.  “Guys!  Do you want me to leave?  You can do this all day by yourselves.  I think you got it covered.  You don’t need me here.”

They stopped talking at once.  We ate in silence for the first five minutes.  Then Chaise asked, “How’s your Lit paper going?”

“Practically writing itself.”  I replied.

Denise groaned.  “I haven’t even started mine.”

Our teacher asked us to write a review of the bestsellers tackling the controversies in religion.  I already picked out The Da Vinci Code.  I have read that book about a thousand times.  Chaise and Denise both said they were lost.  They haven’t even chosen a book to review yet… which they have to read first.

“Why don’t I go to the bookshop with you today?”  He asked me.  “I can read there while you work and do your homework.”

That did sound like a good idea.  I have a feeling he will insist on picking me up again anyway.  So why don’t I do him a favor and help him write his paper.

“Can I come too?  I still don’t know what to write about.”  Denise said.

I smiled at her excitedly.  “That would be a great idea!”

“It was a great idea until five seconds ago.”  Chaise muttered.

“I heard that.”  Denise said glaring at him.  She turned to me.  “I’m okay to go, right?”

I nodded.

“No.”  Chaise said.

“Says who?”  Denise asked.

“Says the nephew of the owner of the bookshop.”  Chaise replied evenly.

“She’s okay to go.”  I said.  I turned to Chaise.  “Says the Night Manager of the bookshop.”