18

Alexa

I step out of my car shutting the door behind me and slowly approach the entrance to the school. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving break meant nothing when it came to drama at my school and I knew everyone's gossip about me being missing would resume as soon as I step foot into that hallway.

Fortunately for me, this wasn't some cliché high school movie and the most I got were stares as I made my way to my locker. I haven't talked to Alison and Madison since Thanksgiving and I definitely haven't talked to Blake, not that I even wanted to. In fact, it would probably be easier if I didn't see him at all.

Every time I thought about the kiss we shared an unsettling feeling appeared in my stomach. I wasn't sure how I felt about it but as soon as I left him in my backyard that night, I decided that it would be best to just erase whatever happened between us from my memory.

I see someone lean against the locker next to mine from my peripheral vision and stiffen as I realize it's Paige. I really hope she uses that brain of hers and walks away because I am so not ready to deal with her bullshit.

"How was rehab, Alexa?" She says and I roll my eyes seeing as that was probably where the whole school thought I was. I ignore her and start to take out my books for my first few classes. This only makes her irritated and she continues.

"I'm surprised they even let you out considering-"

"Do you have an off switch?" Alison says angrily as she and Madison make their way to my side.

"Do you always have to be such a bitch? Like seriously, what did she ever do to you besides just being everything you're not?" Madison adds and I try to contain a smile at the expression on Paige's face.

Before she can say anything the bell rings and I shut my locker before walking off, the twins not too far behind.

"Thanks for that," I say to the both of them. "I really did not want to get a detention on my first day back."

"Alexa, we need to talk," Alison says and the tone of her voice makes me stop walking to look at her.

Oh, God. I think. She knows about what happened that night.

The warning bell rings signaling that if you don't get to class now you'll be late. She sighs and says, "We'll see you at lunch."

I watch as she and Madison walk away in the opposite direction and I can't help the feeling of dread that surges over me like a wave.

I never thought I'd say this, but I've never been as happy as I am now to have the arms on the classroom clock tick what would have been agonizingly slow if this were any other day

I dreaded going to lunch and having everyone's eyes on me. I dreaded having to hear what Alison and Madison wanted to talk to me about and most of all, I dreaded running into Blake.