Chapter 16 ~ Baseball

A/N: OMG MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

            It was just beginning to drizzle when Jasper turned onto my street. I was nervous about letting Jasper meet Charlie. Bella had called and informed me that her and Edward were going to be there too. I saw the black car, a weathered Ford, parked in Charlie's drive way and Jasper muttered something I couldn't hear but I could tell it was in a harsh tone.

I looked to see that Jacob Black stood behind his father's wheelchair on the front porch. Billy's face was impassive as stone as Jasper parked his car on the curb. I saw Jacob staring down at us with a mortified expression.

"This is crossing the line." Jasper whispered harshly. I looked to see Bella's truck back in the driveway.

"Did he come to warn Charlie?" I asked and Jasper nodded.

"Edward just told me." He answered. "Bella is going to deal with it. Maybe you should go help her."

"Okay." I nodded as I gathered my things.

"Get them inside so Edward can leave." He said as he leaned over and kissed my cheek. "I'll be back around dusk."

"You don't have to leave." I told him hopefully.

"Actually, I do." He gave me a small smile. "After you get rid of them, you still have to prepare Charlie to meet your new boyfriend."

"Thanks a lot." I glared at him playfully. "Plus, you never actually asked me out."

"I'll be back soon." He promised me. He leaned over to me and placed a kiss on the corner of my mouth. I couldn't stop my heart from fluttering out of control. "And I'm going to surprise you when I ask you."

"Soon." I said before getting out of the car and into the rain. I felt his gaze on me as I ran towards the porch. Bella was already there and talking with Billy and Jacob. I waved awkwardly.. "Hi, Billy. Hi, Jacob."

"Hi." Billy said as his eyes pierced through me.

"Hey, Louisa." Jacob greeted.

"Why don't you come in for a minute and dry off?" Bella offered as she unlocked the door.

"Here, let me take that." I offered as I took the bag from Billy.

"You'll want to put it in the fridge." Billy instructed as I walked into the kitchen. "It's some of Harry Clearwater's homemade fish fry – Charlie's favorite. The fridge keeps it drier."

"Alright. Thank you." I smiled as I placed it in the fridge. "I was running out of new ways to fix fish, and he's bound to bring more home tonight."

"Fishing again?" Billy asked and Bella and I nodded. "Down at the usual spot? Maybe I'll run by and see him."

"No." Bella quickly lied. "He was headed someplace new... I have no idea where."

"Jake." Billy said as he still glanced between Bella and I. "Why don't you go get that new picture of Rebecca out of the car? I'll leave that for Charlie, too."

"Where is it?" Jacob asked.

"I think I saw it in the trunk." Billy answered. "You may have to dig for it."

The silence was awkward after Jacob left the room.

"Charlie won't be back for a little while." Bella told him, her voice was almost rude. "Thanks again for the fish fry."