Chapter 17 ~ The Visitors

I watched as the visitors emerged one by one from the forest edge. The first male into the clearing fell back immediately, allowing the other male to take the front, orienting himself around the tall, dark-haired man in a manner that clearly displayed who led the pack. The third was a woman; from this distance, all I could see was her startling shade of red hair.

They cautiously made their way towards Jasper's family. As they approached, I could see how different they were from the Cullen's. Their walk was catlike, a gait that seemed constantly on the edge of shifting into a crouch. They dressed in the ordinary gear of backpackers: jeans and casual button-down shirts in heavy, weatherproof fabrics. The clothes were frayed, though, with wear, and they were barefoot. Both men had cropped hair, but the woman's hair was filled with leaves and debris from the woods.

Jasper tightened his hold on me slightly. The man behind the leader had his eyes on me. A smirk playing on his lips. The leader had olive-toned skin and his hair was a glossy black. His medium build was nothing compared to Emmett, however.

The woman was a bit wilder. Her eyes continuously shifted between the men facing her. The second male had light brown hair and rectangular featured. His eyes somehow seemed the most vigilant.

Their eyes were different, too. Not the gold or black like the Cullen's, but a deep burgundy color that was disturbing and sinister.

"We thought we heard a game," the dark-haired man said with a smile. "I'm Laurent, these are Victoria and James."

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family, Emmett and Rosalie, Jasper and Louisa, Alice, Edward and Bella." He motioned towards us. I felt slightly shocked when he said my name.

"Do you have room for a few more players?" Laurent asked. I liked him. He seemed the most in control out of the group.

"Actually, we were just finishing up. But we'd certainly be interested another time. Are you planning on staying in the area for long?" Carlisle asked, equally as friendly.

"We're headed north, in fact, but we were curious to see who was in the neighborhood. We haven't run into any company in a long time."

"No, this region is usually empty except for us and the occasional visitor, like yourselves." Carlisle said. I had a feeling Jasper was using his gift to control the conversation.

"What's your hunting range?" Laurent asked.

"The Olympic Range here, up and down the Coast Ranges on occasion. We keep a permanent residence nearby. There's another permanent settlement like ours up near Denali."

"Permanent? How do you manage that?" There was honest curiosity in his voice.

"Why don't you come back to our home with us and we can talk comfortably?" Carlisle invited. "It's rather a long story."

Victoria and James seemed rather surprised by the word 'home', but Laurent controlled his expression better.

"That sounds very interesting, and welcome." He smiled at Carlisle. "We've been on the hunt all the way down from Ontario, and we haven't had the chance to clean up in a while."

"Please don't take offense, but we'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from hunting in this intermediate area. We have to stay inconspicuous, you understand." Carlisle explained.

"Of course." Laurent agreed with a nod. "We certainly won't encroach on your territory. We just ate outside of Seattle, anyway." He laughed and I hid myself behind Jasper as James continued to look at me with his sinister eyes.