Chapter Five

Worries ✾2✾
Fireflies

She was pregnant. After her husband had left that night, she had remembered what her father had taught her before. After checking her pulse she found that she was pregnant.

Chūnji Húdié rubbed her stomach with one hand, while the other was used to cover her eyes. Will her baby survive? Will her baby suffer from the pain as well? Does her husband want the baby? Should she tell him?

Her worrying took her all the way to when the servants bought her food. Chūnji Húdié looked down at the food that was placed onto the floor. She knew she should consume food so her baby will not become ill, however every time she consumed something her poison always acted up.

She was in a dilemma until a male servant gripped her mouth open and poured the whole content into her mouth.

Chūnji Húdié chocked a bit, before she could recover someone kicked her back, causing her to fall to the ground.

Chūnji Húdié's hands instinctively went to protect her stomach, causing her face to be brutally knocked against the floor.

She did not cry from the pain, she was more worried about the baby. She made sure that no one was able to kick her stomach. Her heart was flustered as she awaited for the pain.

And sure enough, half way through the beatings, she felt one of her poison acting up. It could be said that she was frightened for the first time in her life. The poison spread from her heart. Luckily, unlike most times it went to her head instead.

Her vision blurred from the intense pain, however she never uttered a word. She held it all in, and continued to lay on the ground, even after all the servants left.

Once she knew that the poison had stopped spreading, she had instantly closed her eyes and passed out.

A servant came and gently picked her up, took her into her little hut before going out again.

At this time Hǎiyáng Zhànshì was sitting in his study. His expression dark as he glared down at his subordinate. "You're telling this běnwáng that they beat her up and she didn't even utter a single sound again?"

The shadow guard on the floor bowed his head further. "This servant does not lie to master. When mistress-eh-miss Chūnji went to receive her food, one of the servants forcefully fed her before they start to beat her."

Hǎiyáng Zhànshì rubbed the area between his brows and sighed. Since when had he ever cared for that little slut. "Anything else?"

The shadow guard hesitated before saying. "When miss Chūnji was being beaten up, unlike the previous times she refused the servants to harm her stomach. From what this servant has heard, when a woman protects her stomach she is most likely pregnant."

The news was like a lightning that struck Hǎiyáng Zhànshì head. Pregnant? That slut was pregnant?

His eyes darkened. "Oh? Seems like she wants to use a baby to climb up this běnwáng." Hǎiyáng Zhànshì sneered.

The shadow guard who heard this frowned. Why was his master so cruel to mistress? She was by far the kindness and the less scheming person in this whole palace. However, he knew his place and did not comment on anything.

"Withdraw. This běnwáng will go and see what that woman wants." The shadow guard bowed before his body instantly disappeared.

Hǎiyáng Zhànshì got up and made his way to the desolated courtyard that was the most isolated place within the whole palace.

Even if his palace was not part of the imperial palace, but because his imperial father had favored him the most, the palace that was built to be  his home did not lose in looks or riches to the imperial palace in the slightest.

Hǎiyáng Zhànshì pushed open the door of the courtyard. And walked towards the door of the hut. Opening the door he did not sense anyone in the room. Where did she go?

For some unknown reason, his heart felt slightly flustered as he quickly walked around the room before going out again. Where was she? Did the servants find out she was pregnant and came to deal with her?

Those servants belong to his favourite concubine that he hadn't visited since his wedding night with Chūnji Húdié, he would not be surprised if she did something to Chūnji Húdié. However, would his favourite concubine do something so stupid to his first child? Even if Chūnji Húdié was not someone who he loved dearly, the baby in her stomach would be his first child.

His heart felt more panicked at the thought.

However, just as he was about to call for some servants he heard a faint sweet humming sound coming from behind some trees.

Hǎiyáng Zhànshì whipped his head around before using qinggong he arrived to where he had heard the sound.

Sure enough he found a small figure dancing lightly, weaving in and out from around the fireflies.

Hǎiyáng Zhànshì was slightly startled. He never knew there were fireflies here. "Chūnji Húdié?"

He saw her white hair flowing around her slim body that was wearing a very thin night clothes. Those were the clothes he had picked out for him to pleasure himself with.

The red material danced and sway around her slim figure. This scene caused a ripple to disturb Hǎiyáng Zhànshì's calm heart.

Chūnji Húdié was completely unaware of Hǎiyáng Zhànshì who was standing behind her.

Her melody was carried to his ears. They were soft, gentle however the loneliness could still be easily detected.

This scene caused Hǎiyáng Zhànshì's heart to ache as he watched her gently tapped a firefly before spinning around. However, it seemed that like most of herself, her spin was too quick which caused her already frail and weak figure to come crashing onto the floor.

Before, Hǎiyáng Zhànshì could even process what was happening Chūnji Húdié was already in his arms.

He sucked in a cold breath when his onyx coloured eyes met her stunningly beautiful ones. He saw her eyes had a layer of fresh tears, causing them to glistening and sparkle against the lights provided by the moon and the fireflies.