40

"You broke me. I've been in love with you ever since we met in middle school. I would follow you home, to the playground, look at you all day. I learnt everything about you. Remember the pink notes you found under the table everyday? They were from me. Seeing you so happy when you saw the notes made me happy as well. It gave me hope that you liked me at least. Then I sent a note asking you to meet me at the playground beside the school. But what did you do? You never showed up. And when I walked home disappointed, I saw you with another guy, smiling and laughing. That was when you broke me, Hyejin. Did you know that I fell sick that day? That I was totally heartbroken? My first love crushed me and she knew about it. You still smiled and laughed which made me hate you."

"I couldn't fall in love again. I became cold because of you. So I thought why not make you suffer? But what happened? You made me fall...hard...again."

Myungsoo sighed.

"I just wanted to tell you the truth. I'm sorry for everything and for deciding to leave now but it's best for us both."

He walked away, not even taking a glance at Hyejin who was now speechless.

"I'm sorry."

Myungsoo stopped on hearing that.

"You don't have to be."

"I'm sorry. Back then, I did like you as the guy who sent me the notes."

"Then... Why didn't you show up?"

"I didn't see the note you talked about."

Myungsoo turned to face Hyejin.

"What do you mean by you didn't see the note?"

"I didn't see any note. The last note I saw was the one in which you were cheering me up since I had been down all morning. I remember checking my table so many times for a note that day but I didn't see one. I thought that...maybe you moved or didn't like me. Just when I had decided to find you and confess to you."

Myungsoo stared at Hyejin who avoided his stare.

"And the guy you saw was my brother's friend. He told me he liked me but I told him I liked someone else. We agreed to be good friends after the rejection and all."

Myungsoo looked away, running his fingers through his hair.

"I can't believe we've missed out for years because my letter didn't get to you and because of what I assumed."

Hyejin paused.

"Myungsoo, I'm very sorry. For back then and even now. I just realised that if you've felt that way for long, then I've been stepping on your feelings all this while. It's because I didn't want to get hurt. I'm sorry, like really really so- "

Hyejin's eyes widened as Myungsoo's lips landed on hers. His eyes were closed as he caressed her cheeks while kissing her. Hyejin, on the other hand, was stoned in place, shock written all over her face.

Myungsoo broke the kiss and looked at Hyejin. He smiled when he saw her expression.

"W-w-what was that for?" She managed to ask.

"I didn't have a choice." He held her hair.

"You talk a lot, you know. I had to shut you up somehow and that was the best way."

Hyejin glared at him.

"I'm going to kill you,Kim Myungsoo."

"If that's the case, I should prevent it. And I know exactly how."

He leaned in again and claimed her lips. This time, Hyejin responded, closing her eyes as well.

"I love you."