epilogue i. sweetarts

☀☀☀ 

☀☀☀ 

*SOUNDTRACK FOR THIS CHAPTER: Saturday Sun (in the media section)   

☀☀☀  

EPILOGUE, PART ONE 5 MONTHS LATER . . . 

☀☀☀

WHEN AUTUMN ARRIVES, everything in Hart's Bay is changing.

The leaves have been painted a muted marmalade and are now sailing high above the sandy shoreline in fluttering motion, like birds preparing to fly south for the winter. The air is cooler too, crisp like the golden crusts of pecan pies in a bakery window — like the savoury sweet ones in Bread and Butter that sit patiently in silver pans, waiting to be sliced into perfect triangles and slathered with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream. The patisserie is the town's newest addition, situated in the middle of Main Street next to the coffee shop and record store, with a menu that boasts all the flavours of dessert and then some — from the classic apple cinnamon to the more adventurous peach schnapps cobbler.

Now, if you continue down the street towards the boardwalk and step into the candy store on the right, the blonde cashier at the front counter would continue to describe these pies in great detail to you. Because Hana Witschire has walked past them a number of times on her way home from school, and she knows they're the exact kind she would share with a certain dark-haired boy — if it was summer and he were still around.

As she goes through the motions of check-out and bagging purchases with a waning smile, her eyes stray to the window, and then to the clock with a quiet sigh. The inside of the store has been painted with a fresh coat of honey yellow and the bright wrappers and bags she added to the shelves at the beginning of the week are already disappearing faster than they ever have. But even between the bustle of business and university classes, she can't help but feel as though something is missing. As though everything around her is changing.

And then she wonders if he feels the same way. 

Or rather, if he still feels the same about her.

☀☀☀