Sitting In A Tree

Riley dumped her bag by the back row desk and slumped into her seat. Everyone was looking at her with either interest or judgement. Whispers could be heard around the room.

"Look at her hair! It's so cool!" said a few nerdy looking kids at the front. Riley thought about it. Choppy brown hair just above her shoulders with red tips and black streaks. Yea, maybe it was kinda cool.

"What's with her clothes? She looks like she lives in a thrift store," snarked some preppy girls. Riley scowled internally. Sorry she wasn't as rich and spoilt as them. Baggy black hoodie with an AC/DC band shirt hanging on a lean figure, black straight jeans and black Converse. She thought it looked pretty badass not to mention she got it all on good bargains. Stuff them and their prissy pink skirts and ballet flats.

"Damn her piercings are sexy," observed some obviously athletic brickheads. Riley smirked. As she did this her black lip ring moved on the right side of her full mouth while her silver nose stud glinted on the left of her button nose. A pair of normal stud earrings except her upper right ear had two gold rings. She was pretty stoked with her piercings. Acts of defiance just like the tattoos of the ravens and Maori designs that were on various parts of her body.

"Look at all her makeup like what was she thinking?" drawled a stereotypical 'Valley' girl. This was almost too much. What makeup??!! She had nothing on. Maybe her smooth olive skin and dark eyelashes around large hazel eyes was too much for these jealous girls to handle. Riley could clearly see the acne bumps under the heavy foundation. The girls were quite gorgeous but the enormous smoky eyes and candy pink lips were masking them with another face.

The average students (ones that didn't look stereotypical) were all whispering of less materialistic subjects like where she was from or why was she here.

The teacher cleared his throat.

"Seniors, I'd like you to welcome Riley Fawkes to the school. She's come here from New Zealand. If you ask her she might tell you why but other than that is there anything you would like to tell the class?"

"I'm not much of a people person."

The teacher still smiled at her. After getting an eyebrow raised at him he realized that was all she was gonna say.

"Well anyway can you all open your books to..."

Riley just opened her notebook and started drawing. She soon got bored and started looking at what each of the students were doing while the teacher wasn't looking. This is what she liked about being her. She could be invisible to everyone and yet see everything that they were doing. Made for some juicy blackmail ammunition.

A couple were sucking faces in the corner. Everyone must have been used to it because they were left alone. Except this dude that was sitting behind them staring and doing..ew ew ew moving on. A couple of note passers most likely talking about a party in the second row. How did Riley know from three rows back? Well she had seen the word party written in large black letters on the paper so she had a pretty good guess. The 'nerds' were hanging on to every word the teacher was saying. The preppy girls from earlier were making OMG faces as they made what looked suspiciously like a burn book. The 'Valley' girls were applying more makeup. Typical. Some other note passers. A dude that probably had no more then a few brain cells left as he smelt stoned was snoring on his desk. He was getting chewed up gum being stuck in his hood by the brickheads who acted like they had no more then a few brain cells at all.

There was this one dude that caught Riley's eye. In the back corner was a darkly clad guy who was flicking a lighter in his hand under the table while having his head tucked into his arm on the desk. He wasn't sleeping obviously and seemed to be thinking deeply about something. This tweaked her curiosity.