Chapter 3

"For countless generations, our people lived in family clans that came together in alliances known as the Gatherings. These Gatherings migrated across the Inner Realms, moving with the changing seasons," the writing stick squeakedas SoYa sketched lines across the stone board, illustrating migration trails over a make-shift map.

Many of the students came from the Gatherings, so this lesson was not unknown to them. However, they remained politely quiet out of respect to their instructor. SoYa learned early on that the children from the Gatherings did not speak as freely as children born within Nefol city.

"The Gatherings were strong forces with many warriors who protected the people from the dangers of the land," SoYa continued. "But some dangers won't be turned by a sword. Our ancestors struggled through famine, killing winters and disease. Sometimes clans would fight one another. There was always the risk that the Ghost Clans of the far north would strike out wielding Deep Magics."

A girl in the front row drew in a sharp breath. Fear of the Ghost Clans was ingrained in the Gatherings from an early age. Even Nefolian children knew the darkness of the Deep Magics and feared the spread of the Bane.

"Still, our people are strong. We are guided by the Patron, Lord Zemi Dreigiau, and protected by his Dragons." SoYa began to draw on the stone with a sheepish grin, "This scribble here is supposed to be a Dragon. Just remember that I'm a teacher, not an artist."

Soft laughter met his ears as he turned back towards the class. One white curl of hair escaped the confines of his violet cap, just at the peak of his forehead. His friendly green eyes observed their reactions, working to warm the discussion. They were a group of newcomers to Nefol, and it was his responsibility to introduce them to their new home.

"One day, Lord Zemi decided to take a student, the first ever Myfyriwr, who would become his Champion. This Champion would lead the efforts to establish this city, Nefol, where people would be protected from the winters and never go hungry. Does anyone know the Champion's name?" SoYa asked.

A brave hand rose from the pool of silence on the far side of the room, "ZenToYa."

"That's right," the teacher nodded in approval.

"Wasn't he your father?" the brave voice spoke again.

SoYa paused a moment, "Yes. My father was the Dragon's Champion. But he did not work alone to create this city – his two good friends, JinRai and NaDoTu, helped him. Together the three of them became the Founders of Nefol and brought the teachings of good magics from the Arweinydd."

Another hand lifted from the middle of the class. SoYa pointed to it, pleased to have a question so early.

"Who are the Arweinydd?" asked a hesitant voice.

The teacher mulled over the question for a moment, tapping his chin, "Well, no one is really certain of exactly what they are. From what we understand, the Arweinydd are star-creatures who don't originate or dwell in our world. Only one that we know of has shown interest in teaching our people — Lord Zemi Dreigiau."

"But why would he teach us?"

"I can't answer that for Lord Zemi. I'd have to ask him," SoYa responded.

"You've talked to him?"

"Sure! Many times. Lord Zemi seems to enjoy speaking with us."

"Can we talk to him, too?" asked one of the girls near the front of the room.

"In time, all Apprentices can talk to him at the Host Gate," SoYa explained slowly, "It's the only place that we know where his image and words can cross the boundaries into our world."