Chapter 29

Something was happening down on the ground. AsaHi didn't know exactly what, but she did manage to catch a flurry of activity as Zento led a whole group of winged people through the rift circle.

Whatever is going on must be important. They all had weapons and armor.

Curious and waiting for the winged people's return, AsaHi hoisted herself into the swaying branches of the drooping feather tree next to the pond. The girl watched ripples dance away from a straying leaves that fell into the water. Then her eyes squinted as she caught a change of light on the pond's surface.

A pattern formed on the island, one not unlike the runic engraving on the stone ground far below. As if being drawn by an invisible hand, the writing spread outward from the circle's center, tracing gracefully up the trunks of the trees, under the surface of the water and across the grassy hills.

The girl hopped down from her perch, backing away from the circle's glow. As the blue light grew stronger, shapes appeared, standing inside of the circle. She watched a large group of people and two rhawn appear in the Rift Gate. As their forms wavered and solidified, AsaHi crept forward, peering out from under the leaves.

Kaze stood there, cradling a figure gently within his arms. AsaHi could barely hear the soft words he spoke, the sounds shifting and dancing away from her mind just as they came to her ears. But all of that was lost upon her as she began to make out the features of...

Aunt SaRaYa!? What's she doing here?

The older woman looked much worse for wear than the last time AsaHi had seen her. Her eyes were closed, face lined with exhaustion.

Zento stood next to them, hunched with the blue-robed body of another man over one shoulder. His face was taunt, making him look somehow older and more careworn than she remembered. The blue robes that the two men wore somehow contrasted, despite being the same color.

Daring to take a step out from her hiding place, everything around her shifted. AsaHi's heart stopped cold in her chest. She hadn't seen him standing there before, since he was concealed on the other side of the rhawn's bulk. Her eyes traced him over and over...

SoYa?!

Zento took a few wavering steps forward. His eyes turned gently to his son.

"Welcome to the city of Ceiswyr, SoYa," the sound of pain cracked his tone. "I wanted you and Tsu to come here one day to be with your Aunt and I. But this was hardly the way I envisioned it happening."

The man over Zento's shoulder is TsuYa?

Sudden concern gripped her.

What's happened? Why do they all look like they've just been to the depths of the Lost Hills and back?

"AsaHi?" that was the moment SoYa saw her. "You're here, too?"

She wanted to run out to greet him, hands flung wide until they fell around his neck in a soft embrace. But she didn't. Something about him seemed distant. The way he looked at her gave her the feeling that he wished she didn't know that he was there at all.

AsaHi found her voice quickly, "Why are you here? Are you okay?"

His reply was silence as he turned away.

"SoYa?" she took a step forward, concern creasing her face.

"AsaHi," Kaze gave his familiar murmur.

The girl turned towards the big man. There was something wild about him, not unlike the first time they met. His eyes plainly spoke that there was more going on than she knew.