12. Coffee

She was a mystery he solved a little each day.

“One caramel cappuccino,” Ji Ah ordered sullenly, trying to stifle a yawn and failing, “and make it extra strong.”

The assistant videographer stood in a quaint little coffee shop located right around the corner of Big Hit’s building. The interior exuded a calming feel, the whiff of freshly-brewed coffee soothing Ji Ah’s senses as she breathed in deeply. Small round tables were positioned at regular intervals, shelves laden with decorative jars as well as confectionery placed around them, the aroma of which wafted towards her nostrils.

“Rough day ahead?” The cheerful barista, whom Ji Ah had struck up a friendship with, grinned at her brightly, handing over her coffee.

She nodded tersely. “You have no idea.” Waving to the sympathetic barista, Ji Ah pattered towards a booth obscured by a tall shelf, hoping for a semblance of privacy before heading over to Big Hit. Her conversation with Mi Na replayed itself over and over again in her head, but Ji Ah refused to let it daunt her.

I won’t be swayed by trivial matters under any circumstances.

But no sooner had the thought sprung into her head when a deep voice roused her out of her turbulent reverie.

“So this is where you get your coffee,” Kim Namjoon stated gaily as he slid into the seat across from her.

Ji Ah stared at him openmouthed, drops of coffee dribbling down her chin, her cappuccino forgotten in her hand as she tried to comprehend the sudden appearance of the rapper.

“What are you doing here?” Her voice held a derisive note and Namjoon laughed, raising his cold coffee as Ji Ah wiped her face.

“Same reason as you. I needed my morning coffee,” he answered, leaning back and watching Ji Ah’s features somewhat relax.

She grinned, her rattled nerves slowly beginning to ease. Ji Ah remembered the implicit warning Mi Na’s words had held, but it was so, so easy to let her guard down around Namjoon. She crossed her arms over her chest, regarding him with interest.

“Well, you seem to be much more relaxed around me now from what I can see,” she observed and Namjoon merely shrugged. He sipped his coffee, savoring the taste of cocoa blended with chocolate.

“Like I said, I’m not restrained by the past. And I can totally prove to you that I am, indeed, a changed man now,” he declared proudly, eliciting a chuckle from his cappuccino-inclined companion.

“So you say. I’m still not convinced, though you do seem to be doing quite a good job of appearing calm and collected,” she teased, but Namjoon refused to bite the bait. It was way too early in the morning for a heated confrontation with one of the most obstinate people he knew.

Ji Ah, however, was beginning to see that Namjoon stood a good chance of winning the little bet that the pair had made. Just as well, she thought as she watched him fidget with his phone while trying to avoid spilling his coffee, I don’t know how long I can keep this up anyway.

Lost in thought, she didn’t hear the rapper call out her name, inducing him to wave his palm over her eyes and jerking her to attention. “I was in Ilsan this week,” he was saying and Ji Ah nodded, recalling Bang PD’s decision to let the boys visit their hometowns.

“How was it?” she inquired, noticing the apprehensive expression which marred Namjoon’s features. “What’s the matter?”

He forced a smile, wondering if the entrance was close enough to make a run for it if Ji Ah decided to lunge at him for broaching the topic he had been rehearsing for the past few minutes.