21. Don't Worry, Just Go!

Mid-October saw Ji Ah and Namjoon knee-deep in promotions, shootings, interviews and several collaborations which had ARMY quaking in their boots. In the midst of all the pandemonium, Bangtan celebrated Jimin’s 22nd birthday, a quiet affair at their dorm with beer and junk food. There weren’t many occasions for Namjoon and Ji Ah to meet during this interim, both bogged down by never-ending schedules. The videographer had reconciled with her family to an extent but the chasm was much too wide to be bridged in the span of a few days. Still, Ji Ah was content and grateful to Namjoon too, something she displayed by sending him a video wishing Bangtan luck for their concert in Japan.

“I hope you have a good time,” Ji Ah spoke into her phone, cradling it as she hurried to Mi Na’s office. She had called Namjoon before their take off, wanting to wish him once more over the phone. The brunette-haired woman heard him laugh before he answered.

You know we will. We always have a good time with ARMY,” he stated and Ji Ah chuckled. Her boots clicked against the tiled floors of MSL’s corridors, the shiny surface casting her reflection over the marble overlays.

“Better get me some souvenirs, Namjoon. It would be even better if you somehow managed to snag an autograph of Shun Oguri while you’re at it.” Shun Oguri was a renowned Japanese actor and one of Ji Ah’s favorites. She could practically hear Namjoon rolling his eyes when he sighed.

How come you never ask for my autographs?” he almost whined and the videographer had to stifle a laugh. The two of them had managed to fall into a camaraderie, not stress-free by a long shot, but it at least allowed the pair to breathe that much easily around each other.

“Because I don’t need to,” Ji Ah teased, halting outside Mi Na’s door to wait for Namjoon’s response. She could hear muffled sounds in the background; probably the members as they shuffled onto the aircraft, which meant that they had a few seconds at best before the flight attendants requested Namjoon to turn off his cell phone.

A breathy laugh followed her words and she leaned against the door as the rapper’s reply trickled down the line. “Yeah, yeah keep fooling yourself. But I know you’ve been coveting a signed mixtape.” Ji Ah pressed a palm against her lips to stop a giggle from escaping.

“Yeah, Hoseok's. So let me know when he releases it,” she deadpanned and almost chortled when Namjoon groaned in defeat.

Fine then. I’ll let him know. I’m sure Hoseokie will be elated,” he replied glumly and Ji Ah wondered what the members made of Namjoon’s sulky face. But before she could ask, a shrill voice carried over to her end and she heard an attendant asking the rapper to switch off his device. Namjoon mumbled something to her, balancing his phone for one last reply to Ji Ah. “Anyway, I’ve gotta go now. Try not to chew somebody’s head off.

She snorted. “Try not to damage any equipment. I hear the Japanese are very particular about their stuff.” There was one last laugh on the other end of the line before it went dead and Ji Ah marveled over how natural their conversation had been. But she knew it for what it really was: a charade to keep them both from acknowledging the reality of their situation.

Pushing open the door to Mi Na’s office, the first thing Ji Ah noticed was the empty desk. Her boss was sprawled over the recliner positioned opposite the glass windows which afforded a breathtaking view of the city. Mi Na hadn’t heard her enter and was clutching her head in her hands, nursing what appeared to be a splitting headache.

“You wanted to see me?” Ji Ah ventured tentatively for fear of ticking her boss off on such a lovely sunny afternoon. Mi Na grunted in an incoherent voice and beckoned her to take a seat, struggling to pull herself upright. “You look like something the cat dragged in,” Ji Ah couldn’t help but observe, instantly clamping her mouth shut. If it had been any other day, her boss would have bitten her head off for such a snipe. But not today. Not when last night’s drinking session with Jae Chan had sparked the worst kind of hangover for Mi Na.